What to do with Rousek this coming season and what is his long-term future with the Sabres?

GASabresIUFAN

19 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Probably, but the question is...he is isn't a top 12 guy, do you still want him playing in Roch getting minutes?  I always think the 13th guy should be a vet that can 'step in' when needed (Like Hinestroze) or a very VERY young guy getting his first look (18 or 19 year old first rounders who can get something from 'just being around the team in practice').  

Maybe as the 13th guy you keep him around but he routinely subs in on the 4th line. Every couple games someone comes out of that line and you put him in (I guess you'd have to trust him to play multiple positions for that though).

Rousek is old enough now that spending more time in Rochester really isnt going to make much of a difference. If he cannot make it to the NHL this season, he is never going to really make it, at least not on the Sabres. 

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Based on how frugally GMKA husbands his resources, I can not see him risking losing one of the goaltenders or one of the top 8 defencemen before the season.  JMO.  Feel free to call me out if I am wrong.

The Sabres actually have 10 D and 4 goalies under contract (plus 14 forwards with Rousek). That’s 28 players for 23 jobs (27 once Quinn goes to IR). Somebody is getting waived or traded.  Levi, JJP, Rousek and Power are the only relevant waiver exempt players.  At this point 7 D are a lock (Dahlin, Power, Mule, Johnson, Clifton, Lyubushkin and Joki).  That leaves Stillman (1.1 mill), Bryson (1.85) and Clague (.775) fighting for one spot assuming the Sabres keep 8 D.  They won’t keep 9 unless someone gets hurt.  

The 4 goalies are Levi, UPL, Comrie and Tokarski.  I’ve argued before Tokar is the best of the non-Levi goalies (but that’s not saying much).   Houser and Cooley are the other organization goalies. I think the plan is Levi and UPL in Buffalo.  Comrie and Tokarski in the A and Cooley and Houser in the ECHL.  This plan allows the Sabres to keep 8 D and a 13th forward.  Comrie and Tokarski would have to clear waivers, but Comrie’s 1.85 mill salary should keep him from being claimed.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.