Russian jersey question

SDBillsfan

Maybe someone can answer this question, just curious... 

Why do players in Russia use the Latin alphabet to spell out their names on their jerseys instead of the Cyrillic alphabet? Seems odd that they wouldn't use their own alphabet for this purpose, in their own country. I know it's a small, almost totally insignificant observation (especially now), but it just strikes me as odd.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SDBillsfan said:

Why do players in Russia use the Latin alphabet to spell out their names on their jerseys instead of the Cyrillic alphabet? Seems odd that they wouldn't use their own alphabet for this purpose, in their own country. I know it's a small, almost totally insignificant observation (especially now), but it just strikes me as odd.

This reminded me: I remember games decades ago where their names were in Cyrillic on their jerseys.  Is this a reflection of the ubiquity of English and the other languages which use our alphabet?

1 hour ago, SDBillsfan said:

IIHF requires it and even has a transliteration guide:  https://web.archive.org/web/20160404142753/http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/TranscriptionRUS.pdf

They use Cyrillic in the KHL.

• Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.