Was at Ottawa Game tonight

Saber61

well it was a decent game during the later half of the 2nd period wide open and end to end... but other then that pretty slow and lazy all the way through. i got to see hasek play in person for the first time in my life... was quite a site to see him still up to his old routine... the first goal we scored on him was as sad as some of the ones he let in when he was a sabre... laying on your back does not stop pucks unless its right under you... i can't believe i defended him when i was a sabre fan... ill keep his name on my jersey out of respect but still not what he used to be in the glory days of '99 ah well... for 15 bux i can't complain great game to watch win or lose... looking forward to home opener.

well it was a decent game during the later half of the 2nd period wide open and end to end... but other then that pretty slow and lazy all the way through. i got to see hasek play in person for the first time in my life... was quite a site to see him still up to his old routine... the first goal we scored on him was as sad as some of the ones he let in when he was a sabre... laying on your back does not stop pucks unless its right under you... i can't believe i defended him when i was a sabre fan... ill keep his name on my jersey out of respect but still not what he used to be in the glory days of '99 ah well... for 15 bux i can't complain great game to watch win or lose... looking forward to home opener.

Welcome to the Third Line.

Fans have to remember that the rules change for every team. And a lot of teams are equiped to take full advantage. The Sens are an extreme example. They are IMO the best team in hockey. And the Sabres will be hard pressed to scratch any points from them this season.

The Islander game is huge. Not just because it's the opener. Because it's the type of game they have made a habit of losing in the past. If this team want's a playoff spot they must dominate the other bubble teams at home and try to at least split on the road. It starts with the Islanders.

Fans have to remember that the rules change for every team. And a lot of teams are equiped to take full advantage. The Sens are an extreme example. They are IMO the best team in hockey. And the Sabres will be hard pressed to scratch any points from them this season.

But can Hasek stay healthy? He was fragile before and that doesn't usually get any better once you're north of 40 years old. If Emery has to play for an extended period of time, they could be in trouble. Yes, they'll still be able to score a ton of goals, but in the long run, a good goalie is what wins games.

Welcome to the Third Line.

The Islander game is huge. Not just because it's the opener. Because it's the type of game? they have made a habit of losing in the past. If this team want's a playoff spot they must dominate the other bubble teams at home and try to at least split on the road. It starts with the Islanders.

I agree that the Islanders game will be very important. If the Sabres can win it, I feel very good about their playoff chances. That being stated, I don't expect them to win that particular one, and I still think they can make the playoffs but it becomes another down to the wire season. I expect the Sabres to beat the Isles a couple of times this year, but do not have a good feeling about that particular game.

I took a quick look at the Sabres schedule and expect to see them get 90 - 96 points (.500 to ~4 games over .500 with 8-10 regulation tie points thrown in). My 90 point version has the Sabres starting 0-3 and going 4-6, 5-5, 6-4, 6-4, 3-7, 5-5, 6-4, 4-6, and 2-0 in each of the 10 game segments (plus 2) with an estimated 8 of those losses coming in OT or the shootout. I don't think that will be good enough to get into the playoffs, but if they win only 2 more games during the season and have 2 more of the losses come after a regulation tie, that will get them to 96 and I think that will be good enough to get them into the playoffs. I think the 96 point scenario is more likely. While I do expect overall standings points to go up, as all regulation ties are now 3 point games, I expect to see fewer regulation ties than in the past, so I don't expect to see standings points go up dramatically. Where it used to take ~90 points to get into the playoffs, I expect that now to be ~94 (and the 96 points conveniently works in well in that scenario with my previous prediction of 7th place. ;) ) Hopefully for the Sabres sake, I'm right on that count.

Starting the season with wins against the Isles and Boston would put them on a very solid path to the playoffs. If they do win those games my expectation of 90-96 points is probably low.

I'm not happy that we have the NW division on the road this year as I am guessing that that will be the best division out west this year. I would have preferred to go on the road against the Central.

Dave.

Archived