Open Club  ·  18 members

The Auto Club

Incidents on the road

Weave

This one happened about 45 minutes ago.  My heart rate is still up and I'm still pissed.

It's snowing pretty good today, on top of a good layer of ice overnight.  My employer closed the office early today so folks could drive home in the day light.

I'm on a farirly heavily used east-to-west running state route in a rural county.  2 lanes, 55 mph speed limit.  Traffic is light given the weather.  Plows have not cleared this stretch yet but it was obviously salted some time during the day.  There are two stripes of bare road showing from everyone's tire tracks.  Outside of those two wide stripes of bare road is 4-6" of heavy, slushy snow.

I'm doing 60mph.  Probably too fast for the conditions.  Butt there is noone in front of me as far as I can see.  A big work pick up truck comes up from behind and swings out to pass.  With 4-6" of slush between the lanes this is pretty stupid.  And of course, halfway through his pass a car coming the other way crests a small hill in front of us.

He cuts the pass short, and re-enters our lane maybe 10' in front of me.  In the process he threw up a solid wall of slush onto my windshield, completely blinding me.  I have no idea if he needed to brake or not because all I can see is brown slush.  I reach for the wipers and jam on the brakes pretty hard.  60mph and can't see a thing is a really ***** scary combination.  My Jeep starts to fishtail and I hear the rumble strips under my tires, so either I'm onto the shoulder, or crossed the center of the road.  I don't know which.  I still can't see.  By now I am mother ***** this guy at the top of my lungs.

He must have re-entered the lane slowly because that wall of slush was 3-4 seconds long.  He tiptoed back into the lane, spraying my windsheild with a wall of brown the whole time.

I got the car slowed and the windshield clear and I was straddling the center stripe with an oncoming car 300' or so and closing.  I get the Jeep back into my lane and I am still yelling obscenities at the top of my lungs.  I haven't been so angry in years.  Maybe decades.

For a brief period of time I sped up to chase this idiot down.  I din't have a plan for when I got there, but really wanted the confrontation at that point.  A mile down the road and reason started taking over and I slowed down.

Another mile down the road and I passed a Trooper going the other way and I yelled at him, "where the ***** were you 2 minutes ago"?

Half a glass of Weller down and I'm still wound up.  What was so God damned important that you risked my life to get there more quickly?

• Like (+1) 1