Practice Report: 10-09-2018

WildCard

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

The issue I have w/ Larsson is that in the past when he hasn't played C, he has sulked and played horridly. So, putting him in for Elie will be a disaster (he'll stink & Dallas will get Elie back if they want him).

I don't want to bump Rodrigues out of the 4C role at least until Pominville hits the proverbial wall.  And can't justify giving him 3C minutes at Mittelstadt's expense & ahead of E-Rod.

Larry may be better this year due to his arm being presumably fully healed (or might not), but I'd risk sending him down now when all other teams have in their recent memories of him are the flawed player that was the 31st place team's 4C.

If Sobotka is healthy, nobody has to go down.  If Bogosian is healthy, nobody has to go down but Tennyson likely would when Larsson is healthy.  If Larsson is healthy, either Bogo goes to IR or somebody goes down.  Ideally Larry goes down 'cause though Thompson & Mittelstadt would probably be better served in the A; really don't believe either has earned a demotion.

The issue I have with Larsson is that he's not particularly good at anything.   He can't shoot, how many times have we seen him fire it wide?   He's not a setup guy.    He's not particularly fast, nor quick.    He's not big.    He's not good defensively, was a minus 30 last season (TRpm around a minus 10, which is terrible on a bad team.. meaning he was why they were bad).     

He won 54% of faceoffs last year..  better retire his number.   

Girgensons is better offensively, he's bigger, and was a -12 last season... a TRpm of +8, they were slightly better with him on the ice.  

Larsson needed to be launched last summer.... but JBOT and Housley gave everybody a clean slate, so they all got a free pass... and so here we are.

Edited by pi2000

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

The issue I have with Larsson is that he's not particularly good at anything.   He can't shoot, how many times have we seen him fire it wide?   He's not a setup guy.    He's not particularly fast, nor quick.    He's not big.    He's not good defensively, was a minus 30 last season (TRpm around a minus 10, which is terrible on a bad team.. meaning he was why they were bad).     

He won 54% of faceoffs last year..  better retire his number.   

Girgensons is better offensively, he's bigger, and was a -12 last season... a TRpm of +8, they were slightly better with him on the ice.  

Larsson needed to be launched last summer.... but JBOT and Housley gave everybody a clean slate, so they all got a free pass... and so here we are.

The other thing about Larsson as compared to Elie, is that while the puck skills may be a wash between the two, the speed and forecheck effort is night and day in Elie's favor. If we are going to have filler on the 4th line forwards, i'd much rather it be guys who fit with the team strategy of speed and aggressiveness.

Zemgus has some speed as well and seems to be doing well in his current role.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.