RIP John Glenn

K-9

I lived in Tokyo for 7 years until 2013...most Japanese view their WW II government similar to how the Germans view the 3rd Reich...with some degree of horror and wonder how their predecessors let it get to that point.  Of course any individual may have different opinions but obviously there is much more retrospective angst or anger over Nagasaki and Hiroshima than any other aspect of WW II. To the extent that the Doolittle Raid ties out with payback for Pearl Harbor, I doubt most Japanese have any issue with it and can appreciate the daring and bravery involved.    

What's your take on the average Japanese citizens's views of attempts by the Abe government to whitewash Japan's war time activities? 

What's your take on the average Japanese citizens's views of attempts by the Abe government to whitewash Japan's war time activities? 

I am maybe not so in touch with the 'average Japanese' person these days but my view of Japanese culture is somewhat similar to what I see in the US when it comes to learning from history or be doomed to repeat it: people are too focused on the latest and greatest new smart phone, or their favorite series on Netflix, etc. to really understand their government's policies or reflect on the direction the country is headed much beyond liking a slogan that makes them feel good. As of 2013 I certainly hadn't noticed anything like a populist or nationalist movement beyond the fringe elements. Maybe it's picked up there like Brexit or Trump represents that sort of movement in the UK and US...I'm not sure. 

Frankly I spend a lot more time in Taiwan than I do Japan these days so I'm more in tune with the politics there. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.