Five ways to improve the game for the fans

dudacek

I for one would definitely not enjoy this kind of hockey. I don't want finals that range into the 30+ goals a night which is what you'd get with these changes since the goalie would be nothing more than a glorified defenseman.  I honestly value strategy and defensive play, aside from NJ who's system is ridiculously defensive, I have no problem with a team trying to play a bit more conservatively.

So... I'd vote no on any of these ideas. I'm all for reducing pad sizes so they are less blimp like, but not to an extent where .750 save percentages are great.  

Your looking at major changes to get to .89-.90 range. Thats at most two goals a game. That would average 7.6 goals a game. you know, a goal being scored every 8 minutes of playing time.

The *funnest* hockey had close to 8 goal a game average.

Sticking with getting around 70 quality shots per game (which mean something drastic needs done) an average goalie with an .880- .890 save percentage and we have an 8 goal game average. 

Could you image a league with a couple of 50, thats right 50 goal scorers. They could be legendary players. generational I tell ya.

Am a little tongue n cheek? Yes. But it would be fun to watch a game and know there is always a good change a good team can come back from a two goal deficit.

This has more gimmicks than a WWE match. 

It sounds like something the XFL would do.

1) Completely rebuild goalie equipment to make it form-fitting

And completely put goalies at risk. These shots are coming in sometimes at over 100 MPH. There are certain things you can do to take away SOME of the extra equipment but these goalies are getting run over a bunch, crowded up on, and bombarded with vulcanized, frozen rubber at unimaginable speeds.

2) Eliminate offsides

No thank you. I've never thought, OH if only he could be completely out of the play and cherry pick this would be more exciting. I always hated those guys in street hockey who didn't play D and I'd hate them in the NHL too.

3) Allow players to kick the puck in

I think the only thing stopping this is safety. Skates are shoes with knives on them, you don't want people kicking them around. 

4) Force goalies to stay in their crease at all times:

Goalies give the puck away more than any other player. If anything you want them playing it more. 

5) Increase the importance of offensive zone faceoffs

This is just silly. XFL style stupid hockey.

-=======-

If you really wanna increase scoring. Start calling interference again. The obstruction is back full force. The holding, the picks on dump ins. I know it's hard to play Defense with it in there but we all agree that Hockey was exciting when Ovi was scoring 60 and there were two on ones and three on ones and comebacks were possible. 

Also if you wanna increase scoring. Make winning mean more. No overtime point for the loser. Or, my preferred method. go to the 3-2-1 point system. 3 points for regulation win, 2 for OT/SO win, 1 for OT/SO loss. Extra points means teams pressing extra for more goals to win that game. Hopefully also cuts down on OT games. 

Make all penalties the full penalty time. If you get a two minute minor. you're in the Box and Shorthanded for two minutes. Regardless if a goal is scored. This should also crack down on stupid penalties players take. Although it probably wouldn't.

Allow bigger curves on sticks. this allows players to maximize how they want to shoot and how makes them best, in their opinions. I don't think too many players would change their stick too too much but some snipers definitely would.

I'm good for reducing the equipment. I'd also be good with banning all hard plastic shell stuff in elbow pads and go back to wood only hockey sticks. I don't think any of that is happening though save the goalies equipment being reduced again but there will be a backlash from the goalies I would think.

Yeah, I know the problems with the second part of that, but seriously, if they insist on playing like one of the big boys, let them play, well, like the big boys.  The big boys hit and take hits.  Maybe you have a different standard for what constitutes a legal check versus a non-goalie, but if the goalie comes out to play the puck behind the net and another player hits him.... so be it.

I'm all for it, especially behind the net.

1) Completely rebuild goalie equipment to make it form-fitting

And completely put goalies at risk. These shots are coming in sometimes at over 100 MPH. There are certain things you can do to take away SOME of the extra equipment but these goalies are getting run over a bunch, crowded up on, and bombarded with vulcanized, frozen rubber at unimaginable speeds.

Allow bigger curves on sticks. this allows players to maximize how they want to shoot and how makes them best, in their opinions. I don't think too many players would change their stick too too much but some snipers definitely would.

Goalies wouldn't be in any less of a risk if you removed pads in areas not covering body parts. There are plenty of pads that can be shrunk way down without the risk of injury. That's why you aren't hearing safety concerns from the goalies speaking to the media when asked about it. 

As far as sticks are concerned, it was always my understanding that limiting the curve of the blade was done out of safety concerns as it made shots much less predictable off of the stick. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.