Does Golisano's $$ Make A Difference?

FGD59

Aside from the obvious without Golisano we'd have no team I mean. When Adelphia blew-up it was clear the blame for Peca and the lies about getting the tools to finish the job lay at the feet of the Rigas'.

As an out of towner I see Luce and Reiger as really good at picking solid players. I chalk the problems on defense to be a primarily a product of the same rules that let the forwards thrive hurts the defense.

So do you guys in Buffalo get a sense that Golisano is going to warm to the task and let Darcy takes chances? Does Darcy even want to take chances money aside? Has there been any word or indication that money on scouting has increased? Are their any new eyes looking at the players in our organization? Do you have confidence they will be able to tell the difference between the current Sabres with long term potential and guys having career years?

My fear is that Golisano is thrilled with this year's success and sees no reason to take a chance with a trade or a signing. Darcy will see this as vindication for his methods and shy away from taking chances and come to the same conclusion.

This is not about any streak or Biron or even this year.

Do you think the Sabres have enough as an organization to get over the hump and contend with their current approach?

My gut tells me they are going to have to take more chances and I no I don't have a what those specifiic players they should take a chances on.

Aside from the obvious without Golisano we'd have no team I mean. When Adelphia blew-up it was clear the blame for Peca and the lies about getting the tools to finish the job lay at the feet of the Rigas'.

As an out of towner I see Luce and Reiger as really good at picking solid players. I chalk the problems on defense to be a primarily a product of the same rules that let the forwards thrive hurts the defense.

So do you guys in Buffalo get a sense that Golisano is going to warm to the task and let Darcy takes chances? Does Darcy even want to take chances money aside? Has there been any word or indication that money on scouting has increased? Are their any new eyes looking at the players in our organization? Do you have confidence they will be able to tell the difference between the current Sabres with long term potential and guys having career years?

My fear is that Golisano is thrilled with this year's success and sees no reason to take a chance with a trade or a signing. Darcy will see this as vindication for his methods and shy away from taking chances and come to the same conclusion.

This is not about any streak or Biron or even this year.

Do you think the Sabres have enough as an organization to get over the hump and contend with their current approach?

My gut tells me they are going to have to take more chances and I no I don't have a what those specifiic players they should take a chances on.

I'm not sure I am following what you mean by "take a chance". Do you mean alter the core roster on an annual basis until the magical proper chemistry is reached, do you mean going out and buying a $5-9MM player, or do you mean dropping several prospects for a "stud"?

I expect that the Sabres will annually have a budget within $2MM of what the revenues are projected to be, as Golisano is on record as having bought the team specifically to keep it in WNY and also is on record as not being willing to hemorrhage money via the team. I expect that the team will annually keep most of the players from the previous season when possible and will plan on bringing in ~3 players from Rochester and 1-3 players via free agency (depending upon how many players the Sabres lose via free agency). I expect the Sabres to make ~2 trades during any particular season, with neither one being a blockbuster (unless they have a seriously disgruntled player on the roster).

Will this be enough to get them Lord Stanley's Chalice? I don't know. What I do know is that in 2036, at least 1 team that is in the league today will still be looking for its 1st championship in 30 years. I like their chances with the build from within and tweak the roster philosophy better than the Islanders "take a chance" on a roster mulligan every two years. I also would rather have them keep themselves viable for the long haul, rather than run the payroll up to the league max (along with 6 - 10 other teams) and increase their "odds" of winning from 3% to 10%.

Also, this has been a tremendously entertaining season, and at this particular moment in time, I would have to say that the plan and organization give them the ability to compete. This last 8 game stretch and a 4 game stretch in November not withstanding, the team HAS competed (and thrived) this season.

A better question in my mind is "will the Sabres be able to stay ahead of the curve when other teams with larger budgets start emulating their model". I don't have the answer to that question, but ultimately that is the question that will keep Darcy, and Don, and Lindy, and several others employed comfortably for a very long time or updating their resumes. It also will be key to whether the Sabres manage to be the 1 team out of the top 16 to win its last game of the year some time in the near future.

I think that Golisano will raise the self imposed cap on payroll every year as long as the team continues to make money. He is a buisness man first and a sports fan second, he does not want this team operating in the red, so the more money they make, the more he will spend. I also don't believe they are a team that is going to be willing to bring in players making a large salary and want more value players that are cheap but play hard.

Archived