(OT) What's Up With Niagara Hockey?

DaveSnuggerud

I live in Denver and get little coverage of NU hockey these days. When I graduated from there in '02 the team had advanced to the elite 8 vs. NoDak in '99 and looked to have a promising future.

This year, they have gotten off to a poor start and are losing to teams I am used to seeing them beat (Mercyhurst, Air Force). What gives? Is the school forsaking the hockey program? The women's program was cut in favor of track and field. The move to Atlantic Hockey seems to be a step in the wrong direction when the program could have been competitive in more established conferences in previous seasons.

Anyone out there have some insight/info?

I live in Denver and get little coverage of NU hockey these days. When I graduated from there in '02 the team had advanced to the elite 8 vs. NoDak in '99 and looked to have a promising future.

This year, they have gotten off to a poor start and are losing to teams I am used to seeing them beat (Mercyhurst, Air Force). What gives? Is the school forsaking the hockey program? The women's program was cut in favor of track and field. The move to Atlantic Hockey seems to be a step in the wrong direction when the program could have been competitive in more established conferences in previous seasons.

Looking at their current roster, it appears they lost of lot of their best players to graduation last year. Their lineup has two Freshmen and a Sophomore starting in goal. Chubak, Zanette, Iuorio, were some of their top players.

I think this is what you end up with in the college hockey world as a transition year. Their program was very good the last few years. Now they have to see who steps up.

Yea, they all graduated and got real jobs.

Archived