This Day in Sabres History :: March 24

March 24, 1973

In Pittsburgh, all three members of the French Connection score, but the biggest goal of the night belongs to Larry Mickey. With Roger Crozier on the bench in favor of the extra attacker, the Buffalo winger tips in a shot with eight seconds left to tie the game at 4 and move the Sabres one point ahead of Detroit for the fourth and final playoff spot in the East.

March 24, 1989

Clint Malarchuk makes an appearance in the Zamboni entrance during the Sabres game with Vancouver at the Aud. He receives a two-minute standing ovation and acknowledgment from the Canuck players, who slapped their sticks on the ice.

While I always enjoyed hockey I remember the battle with the Wings for a playoff spot well. Winning it, and then not getting swept by the Habs may well have been a significant factor in making this young kid a true Sabre fan with a mild interest in the Braves, a significant feat considering I could get a ticket to virtually any Braves game but Sabre tix were hard to come by. You had to hustle to get an open practice ticket !