92 Points to Make the Playoffs in the East

Dave Dryden

All the talk about how tight the East is for the final two playoff spots-- but is it? 92 points has always been a reasonable guesstimate benchmark for making the playoffs in the East. Given that the 7th and 8th place teams--NYR and Sabres--are both six games over .500 and 92 translates to 10 games over .500, it seems like 92 at this point will definitely do it--maybe even a little less, but let's stick with 92.

To reach 92 points, here is what each of the 6 teams must do given the number of games remaining(leaving out overtime losses for simplicity, but you could make 8-4 be 7-3-2 if you like):

1. NYR-- 8-4

2. Sabres-- 9-5

3. Carolina-- 10-3

4. Toronto -- 11-2

5. Atlanta-- 11-2

6. NYD-- 12-2

That means if the Sabres and Rangers play well--not great-- then the other four teams have to be close to perfect to make the playoffs--they have almost no losses to give. And of course they have games against each other. So the Sabres only need to go 9-5 to be almost a sure thing, and they probably make it at 8-6 unless one of teams 3-6 literally win out, and the Rangers stay strong. With the exception perhaps of NYD given their long hot streak, none of these teams seems capable of making that kind of run down the stretch, and the Devils already have the smallest marging for error. Absent really poor play over the last 14, with 9 at home where their record by sheer law of statistics should improve to at least over .500 for the year, the Sabres are totally in control of their playoff destiny. Not a bad place to be after a 7 game road trip. If they can gut out a win tonight--which won't be easy given the fatigue factor--they will be in great shape IMO.. DD

.660 hockey is till a rather torrid pace. I can see something less that 92 pts getting it done this year but it sure would make things more "interesting" for the Sabres.

I agree on all points. But for the Sabres to be pushed to that pace, the teams behind them have to play at nearly a .800 pace-- in NJD case an .850 plus pace. All I am saying is it's all relative. If the Leafs had lost last night, they would have had to win every game they have left. As it stands, they still have to win almost every game they have left. Realistically, two of three of NYR, Sabres, Carolina will be the 7th and 8th seeds. Only if two or three of them totally suck and one of the other three play at a .750 or better pace will Tor., Atl or NJD get in.

I agree on all points. But for the Sabres to be pushed to that pace, the teams behind them have to play at nearly a .800 pace-- in NJD case an .850 plus pace. All I am saying is it's all relative. If the Leafs had lost last night, they would have had to win every game they have left. As it stands, they still have to win almost every game they have left. Realistically, two of three of NYR, Sabres, Carolina will be the 7th and 8th seeds. Only if two or three of them totally suck and one of the other three play at a .750 or better pace will Tor., Atl or NJD get in.

I agree with that 100%

I do not think NJD will make it even if they continue to streak.

Carolina looks like they are slowly falling apart and the wheels will come off.

I also do believe that Buffalo can go 9-5 as posted in the original posted, if not even better.

With the injuries over the last few games of the trip, we know who is key. When those players are back and this team is 100%, I could see it being a great end of the season.

I agree with that 100%

I do not think NJD will make it even if they continue to streak.

Carolina looks like they are slowly falling apart and the wheels will come off.

I also do believe that Buffalo can go 9-5 as posted in the original posted, if not even better.

With the injuries over the last few games of the trip, we know who is key. When those players are back and this team is 100%, I could see it being a great end of the season.

A win tonight, and I think 9-5 is quite doable. Tonight worries me.

Archived