Scouting cuts hurt Sabres under Golisano

red

There's a reason why we keep coming back to the Briere-Drury stuff over and over on this board and in the media. That is what severely injured this team, the treatment of the guys already at the pro level. The only shot against all the kids is that they haven't been able to fill those whole left by all the vets who have been let go. But what 20 year old is ever going to be able to do that? The drafting was never the problem. The retaining of those players 5-10 years down the road, now that has been the problem.

This whole article reeks of the complaints of someone with a background in scouting who is pissed about the potential of there being less jobs available.

Sabres have been very good at finding the young players, their failure is in finding impact veterans via free agency. Our last solid FA pickups were the two that got away.

They historically get the good kids when they're ripe off the farm, develop them and then the kids go off to other teams to win Stanley Cups. Sabres can't keep the really good ones around long enough.

I still rue the day that they let go of Briere, but what has Drury done since he left? He's tanked. He shoulda stayed the big fish in the small pond. I don't see letting go of Drury as too big of a mistake in retrospect. But it seems Briere and Drury came as a package.

The video scouting has done a pretty decent job for the draft. I think it has worked well because they have focused on drafting North American players the last few years. I think there is still probably more detailed video out there on the NA front then say the Eastern European front.

Archived