Three D-Men and Two Centers...

ntjacks79

Do folks feel the Sabres are following the "best player available" approach, or does the fact they've drafted 3 defenseman and 2 centers so far "say something" about what they perceive as "organizational weakness"?

Do folks feel the Sabres are following the "best player available" approach, or does the fact they've drafted 3 defenseman and 2 centers so far "say something" about what they perceive as "organizational weakness"?

None of these players will be in the NHL in the next 3 to 4 years, so I would say they are attempting to build for the future. As Darcy always states.

Down Right Depressing actually.

None of these players will be in the NHL in the next 3 to 4 years, so I would say they are attempting to build for the future. As Darcy always states.

Down Right Depressing actually.

No one kills off-season excitement like Darcy Regier does. There is always free agency :w00t: (it took me five minutes to type that last line because I was laughing so hard)

Making any sort of judgement about player position during the draft, especially later rounds, is bizarre. The entire NHL draft is about taking the best player available.

The time to address position needs is not the draft but in the off-season. Planning on what UFA's, RFA's are going to be signed as well as what prospects will be making the leap to the NHL is what the process is about. Not drafting wingers who are 4 years away from NHL duty.

Making any sort of judgement about player position during the draft, especially later rounds, is bizarre. The entire NHL draft is about taking the best player available.

Exactly. The Sabres have been pretty good about finding NHL players every year in the draft even if they've missed with some first round picks. In 2005, Zagrapan was a first round bust, but Butler is already on the team as a 4th round pick and Gerbe is basically on the team as a 5th rounder. Gragnani will probably be given a shot this year, and he was a 3rd rounder that year.

The only way you're finding so many useful players after the first round is by sticking to the best player available rule at the draft.

Archived