Fire everything on net

ron89

It seems that during this series we haven't been getting lots of pucks on the net, generating rebound chances, etc. During the season when the sabres make an effort to get shots on the net we seem to do well. Then the team seems to forget and they start trying to get fancy again (making the extra pass) and missing quality shooting opportunities. I don't understand. Lets get some pucks on Rask and let Kaleta/Gaustad/etc, bang for rebounds and stir the pot a little. Lets get some ugly goals and get going.

It seems that during this series we haven't been getting lots of pucks on the net, generating rebound chances, etc. During the season when the sabres make an effort to get shots on the net we seem to do well. Then the team seems to forget and they start trying to get fancy again (making the extra pass) and missing quality shooting opportunities. I don't understand. Lets get some pucks on Rask and let Kaleta/Gaustad/etc, bang for rebounds and stir the pot a little. Lets get some ugly goals and get going.

Welcome to the board.

This is easier said than done. A huge part of the Bruins' game is blocking shots and partly why they've won the last 2. I think Harry Neale & Rob Ray beat it to death on Monday - find SOME way to get the puck through the masses and take your chances.

the inability to get decent shots on net is a constant source of frustration, to be sure.

but as wings noted, boston is adept at clogging shooting lanes.

as i was watching game 3 with some friends, someone piped up with an observation that went something like this: "when we were kids [so this is late 70s through mid-80s], it seemed like shots CONSTANTLY got through from the point or high slot. i mean, there were times when it seemed like bill hajt [in the winter of his career] had time to adjust his chin strap before pushing a wrister on net from 55 feet away."

there were murmurs of agreement. and then we all settled back into watching a game that, from our team's perspective, looked like it was being played in november, not april.

They key is not just alot of shots on net; you need shots on net with traffic in front.

If you take pop shots from the perimeter without traffic in front, the goalie will stop them every time. That'll only build up his confidence.

It's the same speech we've heard all season. Crash the net and get pucks to the net while the goalie is distracted.

They key is not just alot of shots on net; you need shots on net with traffic in front.

If you take pop shots from the perimeter without traffic in front, the goalie will stop them every time. That'll only build up his confidence.

It's the same speech we've heard all season. Crash the net and get pucks to the net while the goalie is distracted.

I agree, you gotta have traffic with the shots. but we seem to be thinking too much and not reacting. when you can keep it simple crash the net, get rebounds thats when we're at our best. then there is that "heart" factor which i hope we find soon or it'll be a short post season.

Archived