Can this blueline come together?

LabattBlue

1. Rivet - It is clear he has hit the wall. Can he find the fountain of youth prior to the playoffs?

2. Tallinder - Has seen a resurgence this year. Could be due to playing with Myers or could be because it is a contract year.

3. Butler - Appears to have a place in the lineup, good or bad. Will nerves get to him in his first playoff action?

4. Myers - Has exceeded everyone's expectations. See Butler comments.

5. Lydman - He needs to get his mojo back from 05-06 and 06-07. They need him to be a "safe passing", shot blocking, physical top 4 dman.

6. Montador - The guy has fallen apart. IMO he was very solid the first half of the season, but his mistakes have taken him out of the lineup.

7. Sekera - Had a very good Olympics, but let's see if he can stay out of Lindy's doghouse.

8. Weber - If Montador and Sekera can't grab the bull by the horns, do they give Weber a shot at the #6 spot prior to the playoffs?

I don't believe there is alot of talent on our blueline. Myers will be a star, but now he makes a lot of mistakes. Butler is a guy who will not make a game changing mistake or a game changing play. He's just there, and takes up minutes. I have a feeling Rivet will come on when it counts. Considering the lack of heart this team has, we need him to. I can't believe we still have Lydman. Granted, its likely no one wants him, but I really wanted to see Weber play this year. Sounds like he's done well in Portland, has a good plus minus, and he's tough.

1. Rivet - It is clear he has hit the wall. Can he find the fountain of youth prior to the playoffs?

2. Tallinder - Has seen a resurgence this year. Could be due to playing with Myers or could be because it is a contract year.

3. Butler - Appears to have a place in the lineup, good or bad. Will nerves get to him in his first playoff action?

4. Myers - Has exceeded everyone's expectations. See Butler comments.

5. Lydman - He needs to get his mojo back from 05-06 and 06-07. They need him to be a "safe passing", shot blocking, physical top 4 dman.

6. Montador - The guy has fallen apart. IMO he was very solid the first half of the season, but his mistakes have taken him out of the lineup.

7. Sekera - Had a very good Olympics, but let's see if he can stay out of Lindy's doghouse.

8. Weber - If Montador and Sekera can't grab the bull by the horns, do they give Weber a shot at the #6 spot prior to the playoffs?

There is no point to Rivet, Tallinder, Lydman and Montador still being on this roster today. If it is truly about the future the top four defenseman should be Myers, Butler, Sekera and Weber. Pick whichever two out the scrap pile to round out the six and start moving towards the future. I'm sick of this team hanging on to useless parts in a attempt to fool fans into thinking they are about winning now. I think Tallinder and Lydman could have garnered second or third round picks in return.

Am I the only one who thinks Lydman is actually playing decently this year?

Granted, every few games or so he makes a crippling "WTF :wallbash: " giveaway, but on the whole, I feel he's playing solid. He typically can quickly retrieve the puck, make the outlet pass and get the play going.

He made several GREAT defensive plays tonight in the Washington game.

Granted, every few games or so he makes a crippling "WTF :wallbash: " giveaway, but on the whole, I feel he's playing solid. He typically can quickly retrieve the puck, make the outlet pass and get the play going.

Yes.

I don't think he has played nearly as bad as Rivet or Montador, but it hasn't been pretty for 'ol Lydman.

I cannot say with a straight face that Lydman has played poorly this season. Run me out of town, but I cannot say that. He has been a solid presence on the blueline this season, despite playing with a different linemate game to game.

The worst defensive pairing by far has been Rivet and Butler. Everytime they're on the ice, I cringe.

Archived