Trying to stay positive

Kristian

The Sabres were first in the conference by christmas 1998, yet only managed a 7th seed come playoff time.

My memory may be failing me, but I seem to remember Hasek having quite a rough January, before eventually getting injured down the stretch.

Whether or not there's any valid comparison to this years team, I won't presume to know, I just thought it was a little funny that last time we went through a strong first half and a less than stellar second half, we went to the finals.

On an opposite note, the teams of the Biron era would go through an awful first 3½ months, before turning it on in the second half, leaving us all hoping for that illusive 8th seed they never reached.

Food for though is all.

Not a bad thought.

Which reminds me. What year did the Sabres have some dissension in the lockerroom, involving Grosek, I believe? Was it 97-98 or 98-99. I remember a big scoop in the News -- and maybe even a retraction by Gleason or Kelley.

I also could be misremembericating the whole thing.

The Sabres were first in the conference by christmas 1998, yet only managed a 7th seed come playoff time.

My memory may be failing me, but I seem to remember Hasek having quite a rough January, before eventually getting injured down the stretch.

Whether or not there's any valid comparison to this years team, I won't presume to know, I just thought it was a little funny that last time we went through a strong first half and a less than stellar second half, we went to the finals.

On an opposite note, the teams of the Biron era would go through an awful first 3½ months, before turning it on in the second half, leaving us all hoping for that illusive 8th seed they never reached.

Food for though is all.

I think trying to stay positive is admirable. The team as it is now playing is painful to watch. But there is no way they are as bad as they are now showing. Perhaps not the 110 point team they looked like through mid-January, but still I think good enough for roughly 100 points, which ain't bad.

Bruins just lost 10 straight, and now have won 3 straight. Look at Carolina then and now. Once you get the monkey off your back, confidence can return. And as you point out, make the playoffs, start playing with confidence in late March and April, and anything is possible--especially if Miller is on. Washington is great, but has defensive/goaltender issues. Ditto for the Penguins on defense. New Jersey is struggling and may have ben overachieving too, and Ottawa simply is not as good as they have been showing over the past 14 games. Who knows how things will look in 2 months.

Not a bad thought.

Which reminds me. What year did the Sabres have some dissension in the lockerroom, involving Grosek, I believe? Was it 97-98 or 98-99. I remember a big scoop in the News -- and maybe even a retraction by Gleason or Kelley.

I also could be misremembericating the whole thing.

Love the W imitation--well played.

Archived