Current cap hit vs. level of play this season?

LabattBlue

When you look at the cap numbers for this year, who stands out in terms of either being a bargain or stealing money? Obviously this changes a lot next year when Pominville and Miller have increased cap numbers and Sekera, Stafford and Kaleta become RFA's.

Vanek, Thomas 7.143

Roy, Derek 4.000 BARGAIN...Will continue to be a bargain for the next 4 seasons.

Hecht, Jochen 3.525 STEALING...I just don't know what happened. He really needs to be moved in the offseason.

Afinogenov, Maxim 3.333 STEALING...No need to say anything except good-bye.

Connolly, Tim 2.900 STEALING...Stay healthy and it's a different story.

Kotalik, Ales 2.333

Gaustad, Paul 2.300 STEALING...I'm torn on Goose. This is a lot of money to be paying a 3rd/4th line player.

Paille, Dan 1.125

Pominville, Jason 1.033 BARGAIN...Needs to turn it around in a BIG way next season when the new cap hit kicks in.

Stafford, Drew 0.984 BARGAIN...Slow start. But has been very good since December.

Mair, Adam 0.758

Peters, Andrew 0.525 STEALING...Needing an enforcer is a thing of the past. Good-bye.

MacArthur, Clarke 0.522 BARGAIN...I know most would disagree, but I'm okay with MacArthur for another season.

Kaleta, Patrick 0.492 BARGAIN...It looks like Kaleta has enough skill to be a 3rd line player instead of a 4th line agitator.

Ellis, Matt 0.475

Rivet, Craig 3.500 STEALING...I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. More often than not he looks slow and old. Hopefully he will earn his keep come playoff time.

Spacek, Jaroslav 3.333

Lydman, Toni 2.875

Tallinder, Henrik 2.562 STEALING...See Hecht.

Numminen, Teppo 1.100 STEALING...Nothing left in the tank. Good-bye.

Paetsch, Nathan 0.850

Sekera, Andrej 0.675 BARGAIN...He will be very good for many years.

Butler, Chris 0.850 BARGAIN...I liked his physical play along the boards(just taking the man out) when he first came up, but then he stopped. He still appear to have a bright future.

Miller, Ryan 2.667 BARGAIN...A good deal at this cap hit but like Pominville will have to raise his game to equal a 6+ mil cap hit starting next year.

Lalime, Patrick 1.000

I agree on almost all, but would put Rivet and Goose at neither a bargain nor stealing. With Goose, if you look at his salary (arguably far more important since we are nowhere near the cap), which is $1.7 million, he is pushing bargain. Also, Toni seems to oscillate between bargain and stealing game-to-game and, often, play-to-play. If Timmy stays healthy for the remainder of the season, he will have moved from stealing to neither (for this season only.)

good post, it was interesting to see thsoe salaries. i think gaustad is worth it. he is he leader of the club -- by far. and is a pressence. i liken him to craig mactavish in 1987 --- just a wild skating learch who is just so valuable. i also think rivet is fair. the guy is the entire defense IMO. a warrior -- and damn good.

roy is the biggest bargain. he is an allstar IMO. the kid is just a fantastic player. they ought to get him a right winger.

Archived