Florida's Zednik still skating 1 year after injury

Sluglord

SUNRISE, Fla. ? It seemed everyone Tuesday wanted to talk about the one-year anniversary of the injury that nearly cut Richard Zednik's hockey career short. Everyone except Zednik.

A year ago, he left a trail of blood on the ice as he skated toward the Florida Panthers bench. The cartoid artery in his neck had been sliced by a teammate's skate blade, just missing his jugular vein.

"I don't like to think about it," Zednik told a group reporters before Tuesday night's game. "I don't want to go back and think about what could happen, what happened and stuff like that. I'm glad I'm here and I still can enjoy hockey."

Zednik has played 41 games this season, but when he takes the ice tonight against tonight against the Toronto Maple Leafs it will mark the first anniversary of the frightening injury.

Midway through the third period of a game against the Buffalo Sabres, Olli Jokinen's skate swung up, leaving a 1 1/2 inch cut in Zednik's neck. Zednik felt a stabbing pain. He knew he had to get to the bench. He thought of his young daughter, Ella. He wondered if he would live to see her grow.

Zednik underwent emergency surgery. He lost five pints of blood and spent a few days in a Buffalo hospital. A rose-colored scar now runs down his neck, offering a daily reminder of the injury.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...44561000_x.htm

I can't believe it's already been a year since what happened. Great to see him still playing (and well, at that.)

Watching their game with the Leafs... they had a decent piece on it at the first intermission with interviews with him, their trainer and our team doctor.. It may be a running piece as they called it Richard Zedniks road to recovery..

"It seemed everyone Tuesday wanted to talk about the one-year anniversary of the injury that nearly cut Richard Zednik's hockey career short."

cutting his hockey career short is a bit of an understatement. Cutting his life short i'm sure was on his mind more than his career.

Yeah, great, he scored the equalizer and game winner as Toronto blew another big third period lead against the Panthers. Thanks a lot Loafs and Dr. Z.

We gave him chicken wings while he was in the Hospital, and this is how he repays us??

Oh ya, F U Toskala!!

Archived