Mike Kostka

carpandean

This would probably be best answered by Wildcat and Shrader (college guru, right?), but what are this kid's chances?

I was looking at the few Pirates' blueliners left standing and still in Portland, and realized that I really didn't know much about him. He played juniors in the OPJRA, then went on to UMass. He was not drafted, but signed an ATO contract with Buffalo last year in March. At UMass, he was Captain, MVP, led defensemen in scoring, was a +11 in each of his last two years and was named a Hobie Baker candidate. This year, in Portland, his stats are: 45 GP, 3 G, 8 A, 11 P, +8. The team lists him at 6'1", 201 lbs, but UMass listed him at 6'2", 210 lbs. He is right handed.

That's all I know (basically, what I could find online.)

What's his game like? Physical? Finesse? Is he just a career AHLer or could he be a surprise undrafted collegiate standout, who makes it to The Bigs?

This would probably be best answered by Wildcat and Shrader (college guru, right?), but what are this kid's chances?

I was looking at the few Pirates' blueliners left standing and still in Portland, and realized that I really didn't know much about him. He played juniors in the OPJRA, then went on to UMass. He was not drafted, but signed an ATO contract with Buffalo last year in March. At UMass, he was Captain, MVP, led defensemen in scoring, was a +11 in each of his last two years and was named a Hobie Baker candidate. This year, in Portland, his stats are: 45 GP, 3 G, 8 A, 11 P, +8. The team lists him at 6'1", 201 lbs, but UMass listed him at 6'2", 210 lbs. He is right handed.

That's all I know (basically, what I could find online.)

What's his game like? Physical? Finesse? Is he just a career AHLer or could he be a surprise undrafted collegiate standout, who makes it to The Bigs?

Hopefully he is a kid that can help the Sabres down the line. I would be concerned about the shrinking problem. :rolleyes:

UMASS is such a hard program to figure out. He was very solid there, but pretty much flew under the radar. I was aware of him but almost never noticed him in any game. If I remember correctly, he's on a 2 year deal due to his age, so he has less time to make an impression. I could probably give you at least 5-8 defensemen out of that conference last year that I would except more from at the pro level, and some of those guys would probably be AHL at best.

Things can change though. If he works his ass off at this level, he can succeed. He wouldnt' be the first to surprise in that manner. That's where wildcat will come in more handy on this one.

Archived