Winter Classic Hockey Stick Story

ExiledInIllinois

Hockey Stick

Real nice! <_< <_<

One rule: Parents teach your children to ask for credentials especially when you are in a puke city like Chicago and always go right to a legit police officer... DO NOT BE NAIVE! Know the rules and regs. IMO, Even worse around Wrigley... The mecca for this kind of crap. Many times around Wrigley during baseball season, a lot of times autograph sharks posing as children will get the star to sign. Makes you wonder why the Wrigley enviro warrants so much praise?

Nice that the 'Wings will send him another one! Maybe I am passing too much judgement, but I hate some of the "fans" in Chicago, especially for doing something like this. It makes me sick.

Outdoor classic, bring back the days of skating on the pond... Being a child... :lol: :lol: This is what happens when you have things in the "big city." Sad.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update:

Seriously, will this stick story ever end?

Previously on The Missing Henrik Zetterberg Stick: Hank gave suburban Chicago 14-year-old Kalan Plew his game-used stick from the Winter Classic against the Blackhawks. A guy dressed as a Wrigley Field security guard swindled the kid out of the stick and sold it for $100 to North Carolina dentist Robert Pappert in a men?s room.

The Plews went to the Chicago Tribune?s "What's Your Problem?" with the story, and the Red Wings sent Kalan a replacement stick signed by Zetterberg. But Pappert also saw the story and returned the original stick to the kid.

And now, the Trib reports, as a reward to Pappert, young Plew has decided ? he?ll just keep both sticks.

Read the rest here:

http://www.freep.com/article/20090120/SPOR...Star%20insanity

How exactly does some random guy walk around dressed up as a security guard? Either the kid is dumb and has no idea what the security uniforms look like or this guy actually was security. I'd put even money on either possibility.

From the original story EiI linked:

As he left the stadium, a man dressed like a security guard told him to hand the hockey stick over, he said. Plew said the man told him he was not allowed to have the stick if his parents weren't around.

The man took the stick and told the teenager he could pick it up at the stadium's customer relations office.

-------

Just what happened remains unclear. Cubs spokesman Carl Rice said the stadium has a policy that requires fans to check large items like bats and hockey sticks, which are not allowed in the seats. In such cases, the fan is supposed to be taken to customer relations, where he or she fills out a form and is given a ticket to retrieve the item after the game.

Rice said the policy would not have applied in Plew's case because the game was over, and the teenager was outside the stadium when the hockey stick was taken. Rice said he does not believe a Cubs or NHL employee took Plew's stick.

So I think you're right - I'd guess that someone pretended to be security or a security guard saw an opportunity to rip off a dumb kid.

Archived