Bouwmeester signs a 1 year 4.875 mil deal with the Panthers

2ForTripping

A reasonably proxy for how good a D-man is defensively would be his pk time. While Soupy's pk toi/g has increased in the post lockout years from a whopping 6 seconds per game up to 2:36/game (edging Spach by those same 6 seconds for 3rd on the team last year). Bouwmeester has been Florida's #1 pk each year averaging over 4 minutes every year (which is what the Sabres top pk'ers averaged).

Watching him play, there is no comparison between him and Campbell, and I would take Jay any day of the week.

Good points, Taro - and I honestly hadn't given PK time much thought as a good indicator of defensive ability/prowess.

Good points, Taro - and I honestly hadn't given PK time much thought as a good indicator of defensive ability/prowess.

Well, before you start, consider this: our team leaders were Tallinder (3:49 per game) and Lydman (3:36 per game) :blink:

Ok, just kidding. All that means is that you have to look at the player's team (i.e., the alternatives to playing them on the PK) to see if the minutes really mean that much. You know, put it in perspective. In our case, nobody was particularly gifted in the defensive zone, so Tallydman got the heavy minutes.

Side note: for those questioning Teppo return, he averaged 2:54 per game in 2005-06 and 3:28 per game in 2006-07. Also, in his last season in Phoenix (2002-03), he averaged 4:02 per game.

Side note 2: anyone actually surprised that our top three forward on the PK were Hecht (2:46 per game), Pominville (2:43 per game) and Roy (2:39 per game)? All that, plus 81 goals and 129 assists. Time to lock up the third one.

Archived