Puck daddy's top 10 games to watch this season

dante23x

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...1&success=1

I know alot of posters rave about this guy, but this list is terrible. He actually mentions Jeff Finger returning to Colorado as a noteworthy contest. Are you kidding me? Tampa Bay is listed not once but twice. Sean Avery is also listed twice. Does anyone really watch hockey just to see Sean Avery? :thumbdown:

Meh. I don't have a problem with the list. It's got to be hard to pick 10 "can't-miss" games out of the nearly 2500 regular-season tilts, and let's face it, outside of the Finger-returns-to-Colorado "noteworthy" game (not quite the same impact as Patrick Roy returning to Montreal, is it?) the other games he picked were based on the biggest "names" and most active teams this offseason.

Meh. I don't have a problem with the list. It's got to be hard to pick 10 "can't-miss" games out of the nearly 2500 regular-season tilts, and let's face it, outside of the Finger-returns-to-Colorado "noteworthy" game (not quite the same impact as Patrick Roy returning to Montreal, is it?) the other games he picked were based on the biggest "names" and most active teams this offseason.

Wolf, come on. With the exception of the Wrigley game (I think I'm going!), here are TWELVE games that I can identify in five seconds, all of which are better "real hockey" games than the other nine identified by "Puck Daddy"--and I can do this without even mentioning the Sabs:

All 6 Canadiens-Leafs games.

All 6 Oilers-Flames games.

Here are 6 more: All 6 Pens-Flyers games. (That's going to be a great rivalry again this season for the first time in a long time.)

It's not that hard. We absolutely can, and should--contrary to "Puck Daddy"--have a list of games to watch that doesn't involve "Alex vs. Sid." Kolzig's return to DC won't mean a thing, because (I lived there for a long time) they don't care about hockey there and probably ALREADY don't remember him. Thornton's return to Boston? Oops, no. As Puck Daddy notes, it isn't even his first return. It's the second. The list is garbage. Not one of those games (save the Wrigley game) will be a big deal at all.

Wolf, come on. With the exception of the Wrigley game (I think I'm going!), here are TWELVE games that I can identify in five seconds, all of which are better "real hockey" games than the other nine identified by "Puck Daddy"--and I can do this without even mentioning the Sabs:

All 6 Canadiens-Leafs games.

All 6 Oilers-Flames games.

Here are 6 more: All 6 Pens-Flyers games. (That's going to be a great rivalry again this season for the first time in a long time.)

It's not that hard. We absolutely can, and should--contrary to "Puck Daddy"--have a list of games to watch that doesn't involve "Alex vs. Sid." Kolzig's return to DC won't mean a thing, because (I lived there for a long time) they don't care about hockey there and probably ALREADY don't remember him. Thornton's return to Boston? Oops, no. As Puck Daddy notes, it isn't even his first return. It's the second. The list is garbage. Not one of those games (save the Wrigley game) will be a big deal at all.

Come on nothing. All six Leafs-Habs are "must see?" All six Oilers-Flames meetings? Those games only mean something to hardcore hockey fans. Personally I couldn't care less if I see any of the Leafs-Habs or Oilers-Flames games, so I certainly wouldn't list them as "can't miss."

While I agree that there are a couple games listed that are a stretch (Thornton's second return comes to mind, as well as the Finger-returns-to-Colorado tilt) it's a decent list of games with storylines that should draw interest from the casual NHL fan and should garner some national media attention. (Whether the casual fan can find the games on OLN/Versus/whatever it's being called now is another story.)

The list isn't garbage. It is what it is - a decent list of some intriguing storylines. Not tired old rivalries that no one outside of the two cities involved care about.

Archived