The Penalty Kill

gregkash

So I was watching old videos of the Sabres from the past 3 seasons on youtube and I noticed something.

In 2005-06 our two top men on the penalty kill played really high and aggressive. I thought the last two years it didn't look like we were putting on that much pressure on their point men during the PK.

The stats don't really support my argument, but I'm gonna go with it anyway, it is summer after all

Shorthanded Goals Per year

05-06 = 10

06-07 = 8

07-08 = 9

So I was watching old videos of the Sabres from the past 3 seasons on youtube and I noticed something.

In 2005-06 our two top men on the penalty kill played really high and aggressive. I thought the last two years it didn't look like we were putting on that much pressure on their point men during the PK.

The stats don't really support my argument, but I'm gonna go with it anyway, it is summer after all

Shorthanded Goals Per year

05-06 = 10

06-07 = 8

07-08 = 9

Do a ratio of short handed goals over penalty kill opportunities. If there's something there, it may show a better picture of what you're trying to say. Also, I'd list the successful PK rate too, since that's probably a far more important thing than short handed goals.

One more thing I would add. I think your point is quite accurate. Arniel was running the special teams in 05-06, and the Sabres were really good on special teams, top 5 in both PP and PK. After McCutcheon took over in 06-07, there was a tremendous drop off in special teams success, partially due to Connolly not playing at all that year and partly due to the difference in strategy between Arniel and McCutcheon. 07-08 was a pretty good year statistically for the Sabres on special teams, however, I don't think this past season was as good as the 05-06 team in terms of special teams. I'm pretty sure your point is accurate and I would say a large part of that has to do with Scott Arniel no longer being a part of the Sabres coaching staff and not running the special teams.

Looking at this again, what exactly is your point? You never came out and said it. Is it that less pressure has resulted in a drop in SHGs or that it has resulted in a less effective PK as a whole?

having had a chance to think about it, I think it goes something like this::

Less pressure on the top point men of the PP has led to less PK goals. This has led teams to not be as timid about their PP against the Sabres. A high pressure PK makes teams nervous, makes them fire across a pass without thinking about, leads to more opportunities to clear the puck, or make an offensive rush.

But also, with the lack of pressure on the high point during the PK the defense man on the PP for the other team are blasting pucks and personally I think Miller's one glaring weakness is on the point shot on the PP. It seems like every goal the other team scores is a point shot going off something in front. No where is this more prevalent then on the PK.

Thus my theory is this:

High Pressure PK = > Offense, and > PK %.

Someone find me stats and make me a genius.

Sorry, I make a living out of diging up numbers for people and letting them take all the glory. You're on your own here.

Anyway, I don't want to hold that point shot issue against specifically Miller. Any goalie is going to struggle with those shot that they don't see or are deflected.

Also, if by > offense you mean more SHGs, I have a hard time picturing any system that is going to lead to more of that, but also kill off more penalties. If you focus on one thing, you're more likely to be hurt somewhere else. Given the choice, I'm going to do what is necessary to keep the puck out of the net, since SHGs are so rare, especially compared to the number of goals you will give up while shorthanded through the course of a season.

Sorry, I make a living out of diging up numbers for people and letting them take all the glory. You're on your own here.

Anyway, I don't want to hold that point shot issue against specifically Miller. Any goalie is going to struggle with those shot that they don't see or are deflected.

Also, if by > offense you mean more SHGs, I have a hard time picturing any system that is going to lead to more of that, but also kill off more penalties. If you focus on one thing, you're more likely to be hurt somewhere else. Given the choice, I'm going to do what is necessary to keep the puck out of the net, since SHGs are so rare, especially compared to the number of goals you will give up while shorthanded through the course of a season.

I don't think the Sabres system was attack oriented on the PK. But it was high pressure. This pressure is what lead to the more offense, if you recall in the 05-06 season, arguably our highest rate of pressure on the PK, we also had our highest rate of PK Kill %

dammit, it's not 5pm yet, do my work for me.

Archived