SabreSpace Hall of Fame

Mike Oxhurtz

And Chief Osceola wasn't a true "chief," either. From what I understand his garb is pretty close to "authentic" (designed and approved by the Florida Seminole Tribe) and I think the Appaloosa was chosen because that was what the guy who started the Osceola tradition raised those on his horse farm. The whole idea, though, is to capture the spirit of and honor the only tribe not to sign a treaty with the US Government, so the little details are not as important as preserving their spirit.

I guess it's unrealistic to expect everything to be 100% authentic, down to the last detail -- that's what happens when traditions get modernized and marketed, and that practice is not exclusive to FSU's use of a symbol. But if the Seminole Tribe of Florida is OK with our traditions at FSU, then I am too...

Fair enough... But, there is strong opposition within the tribe... Again, This argument is by far one of the fairest (actually being sanctioned by the tribe). When it comes to a lot of Native American tribes, opposition usually outweighs the approvals.

Fair enough... But, there is strong opposition within the tribe... Again, This argument is by far one of the fairest (actually being sanctioned by the tribe). When it comes to a lot of Native American tribes, opposition usually outweighs the approvals.

No, there isn't. There is a vocal, extremely small minority in the Oklahoma Seminole Tribe, but the majority approve of the university's use. The overall support of the Oklahoma Tribe was the deciding factor in the NCAA granting Florida State an exception to their "abusive and hostile" dictum.

I'm finding it hard to locate right now, but there were some real good articles around the time of the NCAA's anti-NA names/imagery edict about the relationship between FSU and the Seminole Tribe of Florida (which should have the only true voice in this debate, since that tribe is the one FSU is honoring) and how the Oklahoma Seminole Tribe's position was misrepresented by a couple of Tribe members who presented their own beliefs to the media and portrayed those feelings as the feelings of the entire tribe.

No, there isn't. There is a vocal, extremely small minority in the Oklahoma Seminole Tribe, but the majority approve of the university's use. The overall support of the Oklahoma Tribe was the deciding factor in the NCAA granting Florida State an exception to their "abusive and hostile" dictum.

I'm finding it hard to locate right now, but there were some real good articles around the time of the NCAA's anti-NA names/imagery edict about the relationship between FSU and the Seminole Tribe of Florida (which should have the only true voice in this debate, since that tribe is the one FSU is honoring) and how the Oklahoma Seminole Tribe's position was misrepresented by a couple of Tribe members who presented their own beliefs to the media and portrayed those feelings as the feelings of the entire tribe.

Thanks! I never really knew about that... Except the cheesyness I perceived about the painted pony and spear thing... I got no problem with it, I just like things as accurate as possible. Movies that have geographical errors or what not is my pet peeve... Just me... I like talking about stuff like this and getting a perspective on all sides... Good learning!

:thumbsup:

Thanks! I never really knew about that... Except the cheesyness I perceived about the painted pony and spear thing... I got no problem with it, I just like things as accurate as possible. Movies that have geographical errors or what not is my pet peeve... Just me... I like talking about stuff like this and getting a perspective on all sides... Good learning!

:thumbsup:

No problem. There was a lot of stuff written and posted when the NCAA decided to use their playoffs as a weapon against schools without researching the background in many instances, and it really illuminated the relationship between FSU and the Seminole Tribe.

There's a few FSU guys around here - myself, gregkash, Ramius over on TSW - and I take it serious, as I'm sure those guys do. I personally can see both sides - names like Savages and Redskins are, to me, over-the-top and demeaning, and I also find it hard to swallow seeing some people going over the top with their game-day depictions and actions. I know Florida State had some questionable mascots and depictions - Chief Fullabull and Sammy Seminole - that the Seminole Tribe objected to and as a result, the university retired those mascots.

Always good to have a rational debate/discussion about stuff like this, especially since we aren't talking about the Sabres anymore...:thumbsup:

Archived