Next Year Cap Numbers

Done

Then why do we have only one player making more than $4 million? The Sabres seem to me to be doing the exact same thing everyone is claiming doesn't work. Give 10 guy $3 million.

I would be willing to wager that it is going to take more than $5 million a year to keep Gaustad, Bernier and Paille. These guys might only be worth that much to Buffalo, but with other teams playing a more physical style and with the cap on an upslope....I have a funny feeling someone is going to drop a sheet on the Sabres. There is little respect for Buffalo around the league, so why not take a shot. If Darcy signs these three for $5 million, I will heap praise. I think it's going to be 7.

If Darcy pays more than $5 million, he will be in for a heap of ridicule. Almost every team in the league has kids like Gaustad, Paille and Bernier. The market has been set for these guys at around $1.5 million per.

If Darcy pays more than $5 million, he will be in for a heap of ridicule. Almost every team in the league has kids like Gaustad, Paille and Bernier. The market has been set for these guys at around $1.5 million per.

Now 1.5???? How about this, I say the over/under for total contract average on the three is $5 million. Anything under, I'll give you $1 for every $10,000 under. You give me $1 for every $10,000 over.

This is fun....since when am I the one to argue that the Sabres are underrated?

Now 1.5???? How about this, I say the over/under for total contract average on the three is $5 million. Anything under, I'll give you $1 for every $10,000 under. You give me $1 for every $10,000 over.

This is fun....since when am I the one to argue that the Sabres are underrated?

I think I'll take that bet. You, really think Paille , Gaustad and Bernier are worth more that Steen and Nillson?

I think I'll take that bet. You, really think Paille , Gaustad and Bernier are worth more that Steen and Nillson?

You don't have to take it........Gaustad is going into his UFA years, so unless they go to arbitration, which the Sabres don't want I figure, they are going to have to pay a premium. Bernier is already taking down over a million, and is a top pick with some size and some numbers. Penner wasn't much different last year. Paille I am least confident in getting a big number, but the Sabres love him so much they may go long.

Remember the cap is up too....add 10% to expected. I know Steen is a good example. I don't see enough of Nilsson. It is more for conversation than anything.

I like the forwards on this team....I just wish there was some more invested on size in the backend. Miller is going to get hurt for a period of months someday.

Bernier is already taking down over a million, and is a top pick with some size and some numbers.

His cap hit was $1.183 million, but salary for the year was $850,000. He had a signing bonus with his contract that was $475k in 2005-06 and $263k in 2006-07 and 2007-08. He also was considered a bit of a disapointment in San Jose. He has a lot of potential, but yet to really show it. Underperforming 22 year olds don't sign big contracts, they sign 3 year, sub-$2 million deals.

You don't have to take it........Gaustad is going into his UFA years, so unless they go to arbitration, which the Sabres don't want I figure, they are going to have to pay a premium. Bernier is already taking down over a million, and is a top pick with some size and some numbers. Penner wasn't much different last year. Paille I am least confident in getting a big number, but the Sabres love him so much they may go long.

Remember the cap is up too....add 10% to expected. I know Steen is a good example. I don't see enough of Nilsson. It is more for conversation than anything.

I like the forwards on this team....I just wish there was some more invested on size in the backend. Miller is going to get hurt for a period of months someday.

Dwight, I really am comfortable taking the bet because I don't believe Bernier or Paille will touch more than 1.6 leaving 1.8 for Gaustad. I am comfortable with those numbers.

Dwight, I really am comfortable taking the bet because I don't believe Bernier or Paille will touch more than 1.6 leaving 1.8 for Gaustad. I am comfortable with those numbers.

Alright....if you want to, I'm in. It doesn't leave you much upside though.

His cap hit was $1.183 million, but salary for the year was $850,000. He had a signing bonus with his contract that was $475k in 2005-06 and $263k in 2006-07 and 2007-08. He also was considered a bit of a disapointment in San Jose. He has a lot of potential, but yet to really show it. Underperforming 22 year olds don't sign big contracts, they sign 3 year, sub-$2 million deals.

Not saying this will happen, but.......3 years, $2 million for Bernier?

Not saying this will happen, but.......3 years, $2 million for Bernier?

Penner is enforcer big (6-4, 245 lbs) and was coming off of a 29 goal, 45 point rookie (first complete) season with a playoff championship run worth of experience. Bernier is just big (6-2, 225 lbs) and is coming off of a 16 goal, 32 point rookie (first complete) season that was considered a dissapointment with some playoff experience with San Jose. There are a lot more guys with Bernier-like size and production than Penner's. Supply and demand dictated that he would get significantly more. Besides, that was Edmonton, which offers crazy deals to young guys. While they may do it again, I don't see any of our three being far up on their list.

BTW, you may have understood it correctly, but just to be clear, I meant sub-$2 million per year, not total.

That makes my head hurt just to look at.

Connolly won't be dealt because his deal is uninsured and no other team will take the medical risk. Max is gone. Kotalik could go but probably not. Kalinin will be allowed to walk. I'd like Teppo back but 2.6 is steep for a 40 yr old defenseman.

There could be room made with wheeling and dealing but who do we want to move other than the dead wood already listed? 2 mil is a lot for Gaustad IMO. He wasn't as physical as any of us wanted, his offense didn't improve, he didn't really seem to step up in a leadership role and never wore a letter IIRC. Are we paying 2 million for the Goose we have or the Goose we all want him to be?

That is my thought with a sheet getting dropped on Gaustad....he won't be the Goose we want him to be playing for the Sabres. On Anaheim, Calgary??? He will be a physical 2-way force that will anchor down a 3rd line at minnimum for 10 years. Ruff is on board with transition, play the position-not the player, hockey. They want Gaustad, Bernier, Kotalik...quick and playing position. What ever happened to sitting your fat ass in front of the net and sucking in a defenseman or two so your skill players have room to move?

There are a few sharpies out there that may take a run if they aren't scared off by the politics of an offer sheet. Quinn and Regier were begging for it with "Don't come shop here!"

We will see......

Archived