Olympics Medal Round Games

PTS

Based on these Tuesday assumptions:

(Russia wins or draws USA) OR (Slovakia wins or draws Sweden)

Switzerland wins or draws Italy

Canada wins or draws Czech Republic

Here's how it will look in the medal round:

A1 FINLAND vs. B4 USA

A2 SWITZERLAND vs. B3 SWEDEN

B1 SLOVAKIA vs. A4 CZECH REPUBLIC

B2 RUSSIA vs. A3 CANADA

Today's loss hurts the USA because if we won it, we'd be playing Switzerland for a birth into the Semi-final. Switzerland has been a surprise but you have to figure that when push comes to shove, any establish hockey nation will win. However, if we can manage to beat Finland, we might actually have a chance to play for gold.

As for the other bracket, oh my. That sucks for all four teams.

Boy have these olympics been wacky.

USA doesn't have much chances against Finland. The way their defense has been playing and their power play is amazing.

USA couldn't handle Gaborik and Hossa and needed DiPietro to make amazing saves, think of what Lehtinen, Koivu and Selanne will do?

USA takes dumb penalties, and their PP will hurt us. I will even say, Finland game will get ugly. 4-1 for the Fins.

2010 will be much better for sure.

USA doesn't have much chances against Finland. The way their defense has been playing and their power play is amazing.

USA couldn't handle Gaborik and Hossa and needed DiPietro to make amazing saves, think of what Lehtinen, Koivu and Selanne will do?

USA takes dumb penalties, and their PP will hurt us. I will even say, Finland game will get ugly. 4-1 for the Fins.

2010 will be much better for sure.

I have the same sentiments about 2010. The US has had some big time scorers in the past. I knew once those guys (Hull for one example) stepped aside, the US would field good teams but they wouldn't scare anybody. From the two games that I saw (Slovakia and Sweden) the US doesn't have a viable offensive threat in the slot. The US has been stood up around the blue line and they lose the dump and chase game. I know some people were down on the goalie choices because Ryan Miller wasn't selected but the goaltending isn't why the US is struggling. In fact, I have been impressed with DiPietro's play. The defense has played well but a brief loss in concentration is what allowed the decisive goals in the last two games (Sa-tan!). I expect further surprises in the medal round as teams become more solidified in their play but I do not see the US evolving enough to win in the medal round. I predict that Sweden will medal beause of their defense and goaltending. Never count out the Russians.

go for 2010, 2006 certainly isn't your year. there are articles saying that this wouldnt have happened if miller was in net. personally i believe that goaltending has been one ok area. their offense is truely sucking. but this year was a viod year for american players. also on a personal note i believe the combination of lavioette and waddel isnt too hot either. but thats IMHO.

go for 2010, 2006 certainly isn't your year. there are articles saying that this wouldnt have happened if miller was in net. personally i believe that goaltending has been one ok area. their offense is truely sucking. but this year was a viod year for american players. also on a personal note i believe the combination of lavioette and waddel isnt too hot either. but thats IMHO.

I agree, DiPietro has played real well in goal.

It kind of sucks that today's US/Russia game is absolutely meaningless for the States. Esche is even getting the start.

We play Finland no matter what. At least we'll get to see Teppo & Toni look good against a pretty weak American offense.

Archived