I'm sick of the slump talk

topshelfcookies

This has always been one of my favorite things to do...looking way ahead to the playoffs and trying to figure out who the Sabres will face, and how they'll match up. Here goes...

IF THE PLAYOFFS STARTED TODAY (2-4-07)

EASTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Buffalo vs Carolina (8)

(2) New Jersey vs Tampa Bay (7)

(3) Atlanta vs Pittsburgh (6)

(4) Ottawa vs Montreal (5)

WESTERN CONFERENCE

(1) Nashville vs Minnesota (8)

(2) Anahiem vs Vancouver (7)

(3) Calgary vs Dallas (6)

(4) Detroit vs San Jose (5)

My thoughts?

Buffalo vs Carolina - I'm sorry, but there's no way these Sabres are losing to these Hurricanes, especially not in the first round. In a way, I feel like this would be a perfect 1st round matchup for the Sabres. Rather than playing a team where it might be "hard to get up for", where no ill feelings cause the Sabres to snooze through the first few games, or merely look past their 1st round matchup, playing the Canes would mean the Sabres would have revenge on their minds for two straight weeks. Buffalo in 5

New Jersey over Tampa in 4

Pittsburgh over Atlanta in 7

Ottawa over Montreal in 7

2nd Round

Buffalo vs Pittsburgh - The Pens are a little scary if Fleury plays out of his mind, but the Pens only have 1 scary line, and while it's getting scarier every month it gains experience, the Pens don't have the depth to hang with the Sabres over a 7 game series. The Sabres are 1-1 so far vs Pittsburgh, but that honestly doesn't bother me. Atlanta actually would be a much more interesting and difficult matchup. The only bad thing about beating Pittsburgh, is that all of Canada would get mad at us for taking out Wonder Boy.

New Jersey vs Ottawa - Dear lord...who knows? Emery is a completely different goaltender this year than he was last season, and that will make a huge difference. I'm going to go with Ottawa in this one, because of the Sens scoring depth. While Ottawa, NJ, Montreal and Atlanta scare me, I don't think any team scares me more than Ottawa does. NJ is hot right now, that's all. While they certainly are a solid contender, I don't think they have the depth to match up with the Sabres over 7 games. They might stretch a series with Buffalo to 6 or 7 games, but they wouldn't win. Ottawa has had that same motivated look when playing the Sabres that the Sabres have had this year vs Carolina, and rightfully so. The biggest difference is that Emery has become a legitimate goalie this season, and Dany Heatly is becoming a bonefide "Sabre Killer". I'll take Ottawa in 6.

Eastern Conference Finals

Buffalo vs Ottawa - Hmm. My heart says the Sabres. I think they'll pick up some added D-line depth at the deadline. I think that Connolly will be back by the start of the 2nd season to be getting about 7-8 mins a night, at least playing on the PP and PK at times. Peters will be out of the lineup, so Ruff can toy with putting Paetsch on the wing, or if Darcy decides to add a center, then things get fun. Will Lindy put Roy back on the wing with Drury for the playoffs? I'm getting excited just thinking about all the options Ruff has. Of course, injuries will play the biggest factor in determining who plays where and with who. Still, Ottawa has been scary all season, but I think that's a good thing. I think to a degree, it helps when a team has beaten you up all year, even if you are the top dog in the conference...it makes you humble, it makes you play with passion and helps to make a team simplify their game and not try for the fancy play, but rather work hard to get a win. Finally, while Emery has come far this year, I still think Miller is better.

I'm going with the Sabres in a 7 game series, that will be mostly gut-wrenching for Buffalo fans to watch.

Stanley Cup - C'mon guys...this is our year. Honestly.

I think.

I hope.

Sigh...god, I REALLY hope it is.

This has always been one of my favorite things to do...looking way ahead to the playoffs and trying to figure out who the Sabres will face, and how they'll match up. Here goes...

EASTERN CONFERENCE

WESTERN CONFERENCE

My thoughts?

Buffalo vs Carolina - I'm sorry, but there's no way these Sabres are losing to these Hurricanes, especially not in the first round. In a way, I feel like this would be a perfect 1st round matchup for the Sabres. Rather than playing a team where it might be "hard to get up for", where no ill feelings cause the Sabres to snooze through the first few games, or merely look past their 1st round matchup, playing the Canes would mean the Sabres would have revenge on their minds for two straight weeks. Buffalo in 5

2nd Round

Buffalo vs Pittsburgh - The Pens are a little scary if Fleury plays out of his mind, but the Pens only have 1 scary line, and while it's getting scarier every month it gains experience, the Pens don't have the depth to hang with the Sabres over a 7 game series. The Sabres are 1-1 so far vs Pittsburgh, but that honestly doesn't bother me. Atlanta actually would be a much more interesting and difficult matchup. The only bad thing about beating Pittsburgh, is that all of Canada would get mad at us for taking out Wonder Boy.

New Jersey vs Ottawa - Dear lord...who knows? Emery is a completely different goaltender this year than he was last season, and that will make a huge difference. I'm going to go with Ottawa in this one, because of the Sens scoring depth. While Ottawa, NJ, Montreal and Atlanta scare me, I don't think any team scares me more than Ottawa does. NJ is hot right now, that's all. While they certainly are a solid contender, I don't think they have the depth to match up with the Sabres over 7 games. They might stretch a series with Buffalo to 6 or 7 games, but they wouldn't win. Ottawa has had that same motivated look when playing the Sabres that the Sabres have had this year vs Carolina, and rightfully so. The biggest difference is that Emery has become a legitimate goalie this season, and Dany Heatly is becoming a bonefide "Sabre Killer". I'll take Ottawa in 6.

Buffalo vs Ottawa - Hmm. My heart says the Sabres. I think they'll pick up some added D-line depth at the deadline. I think that Connolly will be back by the start of the 2nd season to be getting about 7-8 mins a night, at least playing on the PP and PK at times. Peters will be out of the lineup, so Ruff can toy with putting Paetsch on the wing, or if Darcy decides to add a center, then things get fun. Will Lindy put Roy back on the wing with Drury for the playoffs? I'm getting excited just thinking about all the options Ruff has. Of course, injuries will play the biggest factor in determining who plays where and with who. Still, Ottawa has been scary all season, but I think that's a good thing. I think to a degree, it helps when a team has beaten you up all year, even if you are the top dog in the conference...it makes you humble, it makes you play with passion and helps to make a team simplify their game and not try for the fancy play, but rather work hard to get a win. Finally, while Emery has come far this year, I still think Miller is better.

I'm going with the Sabres in a 7 game series, that will be mostly gut-wrenching for Buffalo fans to watch.

Stanley Cup - C'mon guys...this is our year. Honestly.

I think.

I hope.

Sigh...god, I REALLY hope it is.

I thought that we would play Ottawa in the second round if this pans out, they being the 4th seed and us the 1st. Doesn't the winner of 1-8 play the winner of 4-5? That's what happened last year with us and Ottawa.

Montreal is a team that scares me. They match up very well with the Sabres. The Sabres are better, but if they go against each other, it will be a very tough series.

Ottawa scares me more this year than in years past because they have no expectations to choke upon. I've never seen Ottawa play loose in the playoffs (at least not in the last 8 or so years), so I don't know what to expect. Straight up, the Sabres should beat them though.

If the Sabres would have to play NJ in the 1st round I'd be worried because the lousy refs won't be out of the system yet. Facing them in the semis is definitely to Buffalo's advantage. In the 2nd, they should win.

Atlanta (or Pittsburgh) would be very entertaining series that the Sabres should win going away. It's called experience.

Tampa Bay, NYR, or TO; bring 'em on, baby.

Carolina will not be a cake walk, but the Sabres would likely win in 6.

IF the Sabres will stumble this year, it will be in the 2nd round. That's where I think they'll run into a Montreal, Ottawa, or Carolina playing with a little confidence. Once they get past that scare, they should be in good shape.

I thought that we would play Ottawa in the second round if this pans out, they being the 4th seed and us the 1st. Doesn't the winner of 1-8 play the winner of 4-5? That's what happened last year with us and Ottawa.

Teams don't play brackets in the NHL. The top seed each round plays the lowest seed. So in round 2, #1 will play someone between 4-7; and if 8 beat 1, they could play anyone from 2-5.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

WESTERN CONFERENCE

My thoughts?

2nd Round

I hope that it goes the way you have above, Topshelf. If we can avoid Ottawa until the Conference finals we have a good shot to get to the cup. Also, if Ottawa and New Jersey, probably the two teams most likely to knock us out, battle each other, that would slay one monster for us.

I think alot of our chances this year have to do with 2 if not 3 favorable matchups. If we have to go Carolina, then New Jersey, then Ottawa, or something like that, I feel even if by some miracle we make it through that, whoever wins the west will catch us with no legs left.

However, we should be prepared to face at least Ottawa or New Jersey in this year's playoffs. I just don't think we can get so lucky as to get say: Carolina first round, Pittsburgh second, and Montreal 3rd( I personally think we take Montreal a 7 game series every time. They are good, yes, but we can take them.)

One additional good thing for us is that even though we are currently having big problems with the Sens, other teams are not. It is not completely out of the question to see the Sens be upset before we have to face them. I think alot of the fear of the Sens on this board comes from the fact that we seem to be getting their A game every time. Even though they are hot, I see the Sens lose to so called "weak" teams more often than they probably should.

I personally cannot wait for the playoffs to begin, but I know that I will be shaking every game.

Archived