Lesson Learned?

Bmwolf21

Bob McKenzie

2/1/2007 7:50:21 PM

After just one year of having its all-star game in the middle of the week, it looks as though the National Hockey League will be moving it back.

Sources say it is safe to assume the 2008 affair in Atlanta will be on the weekend.

Meanwhile, the new arena deal in Pittsburgh is close, perhaps very close, but not yet done. They are still negotiating some open-ended issues. It should get done but it's not there quite yet and as we used to say during the lockout, there's no deal until it's done, all done.

Read the rest HERE

If so, both items are good news. Pittsburgh doesn't have to relocate to get a new arena, and the ASG doesn't have to go head-to-head with American Idol. If they really plan it right, they can drop it into the Super Bowl bye week. Now if they could only get it off Versus....

I liked having the all-star game on the mid-week. The entire week in the press was related to the NHL, on sports websites like si.com and yahoo sports to shows like PTI and Sports Center, all week people talked about the state of the game, and watching the skills and the game mid-week with bunch of buddies jus chilling with nothing to do, was awesome.

During weekends, you complete with more sports and more things to do out doors.

Briere, apparently the rest of the country didn't agree with you. ASG TV ratings were down 76% from the last ASG (2004) and it, like everything else on TV, got owned by American Idol. I'd rather take my chances against college basketball than against American Idol. Even this Saturday's Detroit-Colorado game (1.3) on NBC drew higher ratings than the ASG (0.7) did.

If they put it on the weekend of the Super Bowl off week, and moved it to NBC, they would still be the biggest game in town, and the media coverage would probably be better, IMO.

Archived