Anaheim & Montreal lost tonight! (12/29)

Peace Frog

Thanks for the mea culpas, but sometimes you guys are right ... some teams maybe are not built to deal with coasting into the playoffs and then having to flip a switch to jack up the intensity against a team that is already in playoff mode. Or maybe some teams burn out TRYING to play with that intensity to get to #1 overall and have nothing left ... but that is bringing other variables into play. If this team gets a 20-point lead like that Detroit team that put up 132 points and choked, maybe we worry about complacency. If they play Miller 50 straight games down the stretch and don't rest Teppo when he tweaks his groin or something, so they can win 25 straight at the end of the season maybe we worry about burnout ...

As it stands, this team seems pretty even keeled ... they hate losing, they feel there is unfinished playoff business and with guys like Ruff and Drury as leaders I can't imagine them taking anything for granted ... and at the same time, Ruff has been through enough playoff wars to know you can't win the Cup in March, so he will not burn them out.

So all things considered, first overall does not scare me. The fact that anything can happen in the playoffs, no matter your seed, does, but that's what makes it fun.

Nice research, BTP. The CBC article I listed got me thinking about it, but I didn't have the time to research it. And while I really want to see this team win the Northeast, the Easten Conference, the President's Trophy and the Stanley Cup, I wouldn't mind if we just took home the Cup.

I think what most people are concerned with in regards to the President's Trophy is twofold - first, we've seen the anecdotal evidence of teams who cruise through the regular season, grab the President's Trophy and then watch the whole season ruined when they get bounced in the 1st round (see the 2005-06 Red Wings and the 2000-01 Blues.) Secondly, with dominating teams like Detroit and Ottawa not reaching the Cup finals and/or getting bounced early, it has created the impression that winning the trophy equals laziness; the winners don't usually have to fight through extended slumps, and this creates a mentally "soft" team that hasn't faced a lot of adversity, and they in turn don't respond well to the pressure of the playoffs. As we have noted here repeatedly, the Sabres have a tendency to get lazy, overconfident, cocky, full of themselves - whatever term you want to use - and then fail to put forth the effort necessary to win. I think a lot of people who want nothing to do with the President's Trophy are subconsciously thinking that despite the Sabres' great start, the team could easily become another of the President's Trophy's "victims" of overconfidence.

Again, I want to see as many trophies as possible - but like everyone else here, I am all about the Cup. The others are just icing on the cake...

Jinked, really? Let's just take a look at some of the teams that won the President's Trophy AND the Stanley Cup in the same season...

2002 Detroit Red Wings

2001 Colorado Avalanche

1999 Dallas Stars

1994 New York Rangers

1989 Calgary Flames

1987 Edmonton Oilers

That looks to be some impressive company. If you're looking to make history, why not make it with a gourmet shot? :beer:

There is a pattern here:

1987 to 1989 = 2 years

1989 to 1994 = 5 years

1994 to 1999 = 5 years

1999 to 2001 = 2 years

2001 to 2002 = 1 year... Okay, kinda breaks the 2-5-5-2 pattern... :D :D

2002 to 2007 = 5 years??????????

Can there be a 5 year pattern there... I like the picture...

Archived