Sabres still hot

Godzilla1960

November has been a tough month for Buffalo. We have played 10 games in 17 days and have been hit by a rash of injuries, forcing the team to bring up a bunch of young guys from Rochester. Still, the Sabres record over the past ten games is 7-2-1. There are only a handful of teams that are as hot:

Nashville 7-2-1

Calgary 7-2-1

Montreal 7-3

San Jose 7-3

This has been a tough stretch for Buffalo, but they have responded well. They still lead the league in points (38) and no one is even close in goals scored (102). The second place teams in the Eastern Conference (Atlanta) and Northeast division (Toronto) are both eight points behind us.

The boys have some tough games in December (Devils, Sens, 'Canes, Thrashers, Habs-2), but some games against lesser opponents they should be able to handle with relative ease (Rangers, Caps, Lightning, Panthers, Blues). The schedule is also more spread out than in November, with every game played on Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday (except the Dec. 1 game against the Rangers on a Friday-the only back-to-back).

Best of all they get a much needed break after this Sunday's Rangers' game.

Even after our great season last year, I would not have predicted back in September that the Sabres would be in such good shape after two months of hockey.

there is an old saying - you live by the sword and you die by the sword. We have won an extraordinarily large number of games by the skin of our teeth. OT wins, shootout wins....

Pressure wins like that are great character builders because it makes a team believe in itself. The downside is that when you play that close to the edge - a soft goal can turn that W into a L real quick. That's when "it's better to be lucky than good" takes over....

I'm not surprised to see some of these close games evening out now.

Best of all they get a much needed break after this Sunday's Rangers' game.

I think you just hit it on the nail. The Sabres played a pretty rough schedule in the past 2 weeks and thankfully they have one more game and they will be off for a few days. Playing Toronto and Montreal back to back isn't that easy, both very high intensity games.

They can't win every game, let's just be greatful that when we do lose we were in it for almost all of the 65 minutes of the game.

The Sabres came into Friday?s game with twice as many goals as four teams ? St. Louis (50), New Jersey (49), Chicago (48) and Columbus (43). Impressive offensive output.

Isn't that crazy? Esspicially if you remember back to the pre-Golisano days. What a turnaround Quinn and Regier have made. I'm still speechless sometimes when i see this team play.

It's like watching the Red Wings in late 90s.

Archived