Miller and the Regina,SK connection

Rabbit151

I was watching a feature on Miller on CBC not long ago and I was very surprised to hear that his family moved to Michigan from where I was born, raised and currently live.... Regina, Saskatchewan.

I don't remember the exact details, his grandfather and, I think his father were born in Regina and then the grandfather moved to Michigan to play hockey at the college.

I have no idea if they still have relatives here or not.

There's been some pretty good players from around these parts over the years. I believe Clark Gillies and Doug Wickenheiser were both from Regina. Getzlaf and Kunitz out in Anaheim are both from Regina, they're up and coming stars. Brian Trottier and Gordie Howe are Saskatchewan guys. I know there is more, but it's off the top of my head. Nathan Paetsch is the only guy currently from SK on the Sabres right now. In fact, I believe Saskatchewan has the highest rate of NHLers per capita of any province, state or foreign country.

Hurray for Regina!!

BTW, I went in to the local Jersey City to see if they finally got some new Sabres jerseys in. They did. Sold out. Hats too. All they had left was a home jersey just the right size for my daughter. I hid it like Costanza did on Seinfeld the time he wanted the discounted suit.

One more BTW. They did have some retro blue jerseys for sale, and even more astonishing, one of them was in the front dispay window!! This is Flames and Oilers country out here. Follow that with the Leafs and Canadiens. Follow that with a bunch of traditional faves like Philly, Detroit, Boston, Columbus...(just kidding), suffice it to say, not much of a market for Buffalo out here. So I was totally shocked to see my Sabres as one of the two feature jerseys in the window. I guess that the Sabres are so good, they are making some new fans out here.

Archived