Sports Books

Hirly5

I was reading Bucci's column on ESPN.com and it seems he finished writing a book about Keith Jones. The excerpt is very interesting. I really like reading this kind of behind the scenes stuff.

Has anyone come across a good sports themed book lately?

I finished Bronx Zoo a few months ago. It was good. I am currently reading Fantasyland. If you are into fantasy sports it is really good. I want to read Moneyball and I believe Michael Lewis has a new book out about an offensive lineman in the NFL that seems interesting.

One of the first books I ever read was "The Red Grange Story" (1993 paperback edition: ISBN 0-252-06329-5).

Red Grange (The Wheaton Iceman, The Galloping Ghost) was the best college football player ever and, as (I think) the first Chicago Bear, gave legitimacy to the NFL. College football was king then, and this book is cool because it takes you to the game in the 20's and you can picture the stands filled with men in long coats and tophats singing the Old Fight Song.

I just finished "Between The Lines", the inside story about NHL Linesman, Ray Scampinello, aka: Scampy. Did you know his first and last game in the NHL were both in Buffalo? There is a whole chapter that talks about the Aud and HSBC. A really good read and its only about 240 pages. He was a linesman for over 30 years and not once did he miss a game due to injury. Amazing!!

I highly recommend picking this book up for hockey fans.

Archived