FWIW: Sporting News Hockey preview....

buftex

Well now, that's the kiss of death isn't it?

I really don't like all these predictions of how good the Sabres will be and that they are the favorite to win the cup.

If they can convince Biron to stay as insurance to Miller, I won't worry about the goaltending situation. Miller by himself, I worry. What if he's Jim Carey or Raycroft or...you get the picture.

All the other teams have made adjustments, as have the players. One year of the "new" rules under everyone's belts will make a big difference.

How many Sabres just had career years and won't reach those numbers again?

Now, not to be too big a downer, here are the positives. What if our young guys only get better with the confidence they gained last year. What if Miller IS the real deal. What if the new sold-out building is rocking night after night. What if our balanced attack results in less injuries. What if our defense is the best defense man-for-man in the league (which I happen to believe it is). What if the team can play just as well with all these expectations as they did when they were picked for last place.

Okay, they are a favorite. But I just want to throw the possibility out there, that the team could take a step back, especially early in the year. It's important all you folks in Buffalo going to the games don't expect too much early in the year. If they get down on themselves early, the whole year could collapse.

Well now, that's the kiss of death isn't it?

I really don't like all these predictions of how good the Sabres will be and that they are the favorite to win the cup.

If they can convince Biron to stay as insurance to Miller, I won't worry about the goaltending situation. Miller by himself, I worry. What if he's Jim Carey or Raycroft or...you get the picture.

All the other teams have made adjustments, as have the players. One year of the "new" rules under everyone's belts will make a big difference.

How many Sabres just had career years and won't reach those numbers again?

Now, not to be too big a downer, here are the positives. What if our young guys only get better with the confidence they gained last year. What if Miller IS the real deal. What if the new sold-out building is rocking night after night. What if our balanced attack results in less injuries. What if our defense is the best defense man-for-man in the league (which I happen to believe it is). What if the team can play just as well with all these expectations as they did when they were picked for last place.

Okay, they are a favorite. But I just want to throw the possibility out there, that the team could take a step back, especially early in the year. It's important all you folks in Buffalo going to the games don't expect too much early in the year. If they get down on themselves early, the whole year could collapse.

I disagree that we saw career years out of everyone. A lot of the younger guys had an extra year to develop in the lockout, and it showed. Not to mention the new rules. I expect most to pick up right where they left off.

Archived