Game 5 GWG in OT

niagara66

I was at game 5 and the OT winner happened right below me. I was up in the "oranges" (Sec. 321) right along the goal line, penalty box side.

I haven't seen any replays of the OT game winner but I remember in game 1 or 2, at the same end, a Cane forward dumped one in to the left of the net so the Canes could change. Entirely routine play EXCEPT, the puck bounced out at a wierd angle right into the slot. Surprised Miller, the announcers, and everyone else. Since nobody was around, Miller simply cleared it.

Fast forward to Sunday night in OT. I'd be interested to find if, since this is their home ice, the Canes know about this bounce that goes from the end boards directly into the slot.

Does anybody have a DVD of the goal and see if, did the guy do this on purpose to play this bounce or did he simply fire it wide and get lucky. If they did it on purpose, our D and Miller need to know t olook out for it in Game 7.

Of course they do, and that's my point, really. If the guy (I don't know the canes player's name) knows about a spot in the end boards (where they play 40+ times a year) where if you hit it the puck comes out into the slot, and he did it on purpose in overtime, and Stillman was there waiting for it then.....what a great play by the Canes. If it was just dumb luck then, oh well.

I haven't seen any replays but, NHL players regularly do things with the puck on purpose that to us regular fans (me at least) seem miraculous. I'm curious, based on an observed similar bounce earlier in the series, if that was, essentially, a pass around our defense, off the end boards and into the slot, rather than simply a shot that missed wide and a lucky bounce. If the formerr, we should be aware of it for game 7.

I believe the Sabres are a great team. I believe we'll win tonight. I'd hate to lose game 7 due to a home cookin' assist from the end boards, or for any reason.

Had nothing to do with the boards. Cullen's shot was headed for the net. It deflected off of the inside of Fitzpatrick's skate (looks like he tried to stop it). That sent the puck flush against the back boards allowing it to come straight back. Whitney tried to play it but he ended up deflecting it slightly to an open Cory Stillman. Still very lucky though. :)

Had nothing to do with the boards. Cullen's shot was headed for the net. It deflected off of the inside of Fitzpatrick's skate (looks like he tried to stop it). That sent the puck flush against the back boards allowing it to come straight back. Whitney tried to play it but he ended up deflecting it slightly to an open Cory Stillman. Still very lucky though. :)

Looked to me like Stillman got away with a hook there. He jammed his stick into Rory's hands, causing Rory to miss the puck. You know the rest. By today's rules, that should've been a penalty for hooking.

Archived