Which Style Will We See

wjag

With 32 hours to game time, it's time to prognosticate on which style of Sabres team we are going to see in Round 3.

Recap - Sabres vs Flyers. Pedal-to-the-Metal. Sabres use speed for countless odd man rushes on Flyers net. Fast at the blue line, attacking, attacking, attacking. Very good power play and penalty kill. Not worried about getting back to forecheck because they can skate circles around the Flyers.

Recap - Sabres vs Senators. Rope-a-dope. Bobbing and weaving, playing next to zero sustained offense and waiting for odd man breaks. Completely outshot every game, but make the most of all their shots. Tight games, usually tied late by Ottawa and won by Buffalo in overtime. Powerplay non-existent. Penalty kill supreme.

So which style do the Sabres play against the Hurricanes? Everyone predicted a fast paced series when Buffalo played Ottawa. It didn't turn out that way at all, in fact it was completely opposite. Same predictions are being made for Carolina and Buffalo. Fast paced. Up and down the ice.

I predict we are going to see the Ottawa game plan against Carolina. We are going to sit in the defensive zone and wait for those opportunities. Buffalo will try to capitalize on overcommitted defenses for odd man rushes. I just don't see a sustained attack in the offensive end. Carolina is too quick to overcommit ourselves. I don't see a fast paced hockey game. I see two teams playing opportunistically. Typical shots on goal game will be 20-20 not in the 30s'. Lots of powerplays on both teams taking the rhythm out of the game. Great penalty kill with both team blocking shots. Low, low scoring games.. 3-1, 2-1, 1-0 type affairs.

Archived