Beware of e-bay tickets

Corp000085

there was a news report yesterday from raleigh and they interviewed a rep for the canes and he said that they've been voiding the bar codes on tickets that appear online. I guess its illegal to scalp tickets online too... I'd be cautious if you plan on going the e-bay route to see games 1, 2, 5, and 7.

there was a news report yesterday from raleigh and they interviewed a rep for the canes and he said that they've been voiding the bar codes on tickets that appear online. I guess its illegal to scalp tickets online too... I'd be cautious if you plan on going the e-bay route to see games 1, 2, 5, and 7.

haahaa, you can still get 8 tickets in a row for the games in Raleigh :lol:

If the seller is smart which most are, they don't give the specific location of the seats.

Well, it's not necessarily illegal to scalp tickets on line. Each state has its own laws on selling tickets in the aftermarket, thus eBay applies the applicable state law based on the seller of the tickets location. Here in New York State the law is that you can sell your ticket for up 45% higher than the face value as long as the ticket is not sold within 1500 feet of the venue at hand. In eBay's case, they just won't allow the ticket to be bid on for higher than the highest legal amount.

As far as watching out for counterfeit tickets, it's very important to look at the feedback rating of the seller when it comes to eBay. As someone who has both sold and bought many items (including tickets) since 1998, I can say that a seller's feedback is one of the best measuring sticks to go by. Also using Pay Pal is a good route to take when paying for tickets, being that it gives you some recourse in case something fishy occurs. In other words, I wouldn't just mail out a money order like in the early days of eBay.

I can't say that I completely understand what they mean by voiding tickets sold on line, as that would be virtually impossible to do in this day & age. They would have to monitor every secondary internet sales site selling tickets everyday for every ticket that's been sold. Not to mention the fact that if it's legal to sell your tickets at a mark up where you live and you bought the tickets legally to begin with, then the Hurricanes really shouldn't be legally able to void a ticket to begin with.

They're probably just saying that as a scare, don't blame them though, if morons pay a lot of tickets on ebay and the game doesn't even sell out at the box office, the canes and the people that were silly enough to pay that lose out, although they both kind of deserve it.

Another thing is to try to get a good look at some tickets for this round, perhaps someone could post HSBC and RBC tickets on the web somewhere. That way people can avoid buying fakes.

Archived