Melrose on ESPN

MillerTyme

Anyone else just see Melrose on Sportcenter after the Ducks-Avs game ... I cant blame him for picking the Sens as the team most likely to come back when the question was posed ... but its not gonna happen ... GO SABRES ... and Melrose got some brownie points with Sabres fans when he mentioned how crazy the arena will be tomorrow night and how people should buy stock in Chippewa businesses. Sens comeback is most possible but then again a Sabres playoff berth was impossible at the beginning of the season! Sabres in 5!

After having watched a bit of each series, I think his assessment is correct. The Ducks are rolling the Avs. The Sharks look like they are not the Wings. The Devils are in deep as well. If Brodeur gets hot, they could handle the Canes. But those Canes are playing with determination after dropping the first two to the Canadiens. Ottawa can do it. They have the fire power. If they do, they are going to have to earn it.

Tonight is the night. Sabres win, series over in four. Buffalo has Ottawa's number lately. They have to be freakin.

from a fox sports hockey blog.....

What Barry Melrose's Mullet told me......

Feb 18, 2006 | 9:41AM | report this As I struggled to climb the mountain, a soothing feeling of calmness washed over my body. The end of my journey was now in sight. I couldn't help but correlate my journey to the journey that Moses once took. He too was looking for the answers to life's many riddles as was I. However, his journey was a religious one that bequethed invaluable guidance to a lost people and mine, well, mine was to find something to blog about. Not exactly "Grace of God" stuff here. So, on to the rest of this pitiful attempt at writing something to entertain you.

I have never really been a hockey fan. I tried for a couple years to latch myself onto the sport. I bought all of the EA games and at one point could hold a lengthy conversation on any team's roster. I could tell you all about the Gary Suters, the Mark Recchis, the Tie Domis, and the Paul Kariyas. I could even have fooled the most ardent of NHL supporters with my argument as to why Chris Osgood (nicknamed Goalie God by my best friend) was a superior goalie to Patrick Roy. I attended multiples of NHL games while living in Tampa. Well, I'm not sure if you can call the '97-98 Lightning an actual NHL team or not. That's like saying that the Devil Rays will contend this year and by contend, I mean, win 25 games. It's a stretch.

Where was I? Oh, scaling the summit, that's right. I should digress and tell you how this meeting came about. It started one day while watching the extremely overrated ESPN. There was a man named Barry Melrose speaking ever-so-eloquently on topics such as: slashing, icing, and whatever else is involved with the blue line. As he spoke, I noticed that the mullet on his head seemed to have a life of its' own. I found myself transfixed in the salt and pepper highlights as well as the curls of the mullet. I had never meditated before in my life but as the Universe slowly melted around me and transported me to another dimension, I realized that Barry's mullet was a God, or demigod for the ultra religious. I could feel my pulse quickening as I floated further away from this realm of "reality," all the while still transfixed on the mullet. All of the starvation, the warring nations, drought, all of the Worlds' hurts were gone as I was whisked away to a far off place. The mullet was the center of the Universe and then like a candle's flame in the wind, it was gone! My World came crashing back like a cold bucket of reality splashed in my face. ESPN had taken Barry and that beautiful mullet away from me and went into highlights. Oh, the tragedy!

I fell to the floor on both knees and pounded my clenched fists of hatred on the hardwood floor of my living room cursing ESPN and my newly awakened spirit. If I had never seen the truth, it would have been so much easier to go on living the lie of reality. It all seemed so hopeless now. I couldn't sleep for days and eating was harder with every spoonful. I was withdrawn from my friends and family until my epiphany.

I won't bore you with details as I'm sure you all have had the same experience but the short version of my epiphany goes: I called ESPN, yadda yadda yadda and then I ended up on top of the mountain with Barry Melrose's mullet or Philip, as he likes to be called. Here is the abbreviated version of my conversation with the wisest of wise ones:

Archived