Cap Casualties in the NHL?

Chilly

I was chattin with AD in the lovely room during the first period, and a question came up about cutting players, and its affect on the salary cap.

Anyone know what it is? Is it like the NFL at all?

For most players, they can be bought out for 2/3 of the salary due to them (IIRC, there are a few players that can be bought out for 1/3 salary, but I can't remember what those conditions are in my present condition.)

Buy out $'s count against the salary cap (and are comparable to "dead cap $'s" in the NFL) but they do so over twice the length of the existing contract.

To keep the math easy, a hypothetical player with 2 yrs left a $3MM/yr contract can be bought out for $4MM (2/3 of $3MM * 2 yrs). The buyout will reduce that team's salary cap by $1MM/yr for the next 4 years. ($4MM / (2yrs * 2) = $1MM/yr)

Hope that helps.

For most players, they can be bought out for 2/3 of the salary due to them (IIRC, there are a few players that can be bought out for 1/3 salary, but I can't remember what those conditions are in my present condition.)

Buy out $'s count against the salary cap (and are comparable to "dead cap $'s" in the NFL) but they do so over twice the length of the existing contract.

To keep the math easy, a hypothetical player with 2 yrs left a $3MM/yr contract can be bought out for $4MM (2/3 of $3MM * 2 yrs). The buyout will reduce that team's salary cap by $1MM/yr for the next 4 years. ($4MM / (2yrs * 2) = $1MM/yr)

Hope that helps.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Archived