Quote of the Day

X. Benedict

"This is all about speed now. The Sabres have it and the Flyers don't. This is all about trying to find a way to counteract what is a decided Buffalo advantage in both swiftness and composure. The autopsy after two games, if it were to be performed on the Flyers, would end with a finding by the coroner of death by windburn. Everybody knows it."

Rich Hoffman - Philadelphia Daily News

Linky

Flexible Flyers

Message at 7:42 p.m. from Omaha Flyer. Captioned, "Worse period of hockey I've ever seen."

Body of same message, on the Flyers Fan Forum: "What's sad is that there is still time left."

It was only 4 to nothing when Omaha Flyer wrote that, shortly before the end of the first period. Sabres tucked one more in before the horn.

The message before his was captioned: "Beaten in every aspect of the game!"

And before that: "I think I am going to puke."

Let's look somewhere else.

Sound up on TV. Gary Dornhoffer is saying, "If you would have been clocked by a policeman, the Buffalo Sabres would have gotten a lot of speeding tickets.... You've just got to be a lot better as far as checking is concerned."

Game back on. Second period. Antero Niitymaki in goal for Robert Esche. Gagne wheels and fires -- scores. Has good sense not to celebrate. Buffalo's speed forces another penalty, and the rink plays Carmina Burana again. Pretty civilized for a place known for spicy wings, a big fall and record snow.

After the second period. 6-1. Hockey analyst Al Morganti: "I don't want to go back to the cave days, but somebody's got to hit somebody now."

It's not for a lack of trying. So many Sabres power plays - 9 so far - they're going to wear out that copy of Carmina Burana.

Meanwhile, Omaha Flyer has left the building. Announced he was off to read some Henry Rollins. Pelle31 replies: "We need Henry to lace 'em up."

Tv talent (and former goalie) Neil Little fills, saying at this point all he wants to do is watch Ben Eager deliver another few hits.

A Fans Forum poster named lrg51 disagrees. Has a comment titled "Eager:

Well... a smiling Eager checked from behind... got 2 & 10. Eager is smiling all the way to the box. Yeah, that's discipline and class! Just emphasizes stupid play...

Gagne finds the net in the third, but it's off its mooring, so the goal is waved off. Hard to get too excited. But Nedved gets it back. 6 - 2. That was the Phillies score last time I checked. (Colorado has since pulled to 6 - 4.) Fourteen minutes left to play. Isn't the Soprano's showing again?

Fans board wags are saying, Rest Peter Forsberg, Fire Bobby Clarke, find some fast players for the modern era. One, named YoungFlyerzFan, is trying to rally the crowd for a 7 to 6 come back. It's a lone voice.

Now it's 7 - 2. I think the Sabre who scored was named Zeppo Marx. Over on HBO there's murder and intrigue "If we are to prevent him from being a danger to himself we must know these things."

Tony Soprano? It's Helen Mirren playing a very pale Queen Elizabeth I. She could deliver a hit.

Posted by Daniel Rubin at 07:57 PM in Sports

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:

http://www.typepad.com/t/trackback/4736719

Comments

Yeah, see you all next season. I have been a Flyers fan since the 4th grade and I think that the team management needs to realize that the glory of the "Broad Street Bullies" is long gone. We obviously can't play like that with the new rules. Let us finally switch over to a fast team so that we don't get embarassed in the playoffs anymore. Change the whole makeup of the team during the summer. Get a legitimate goalie, not a washed up goalie like our acquistion of Vanbiesbrouck. Its so sad to see the great city of Philadelphia lose to such a joke of a city.

Posted by: JR | Apr 24, 2006 11:48:13 PM

Yo Omaha,

You're more likely to see Henry Rollins lace up a teddy than a pair of skates.

Posted by: Tacony Lou | Apr 24, 2006 11:59:03 PM

The front page headline for tomorrow:

STUPID IDIOTS

I prefer WIMPS!!!

Flyers have all but put their own topsoil and headstone in place.

What a wasted night.

Posted by: JoeBlack | Apr 25, 2006 12:15:56 AM

THE FLYERS THOUGHT THEY WERE BACK IN THE 70'S OR 80'S,THE SPEEDY SABRES OF THE NEW MILLIENUM LET THE FLYERS HAVE IT, THEY MIGHT

NOT SWEEP THEM BUT THEY WILL WIN IT IN NO MORE THAN 5 GAMES, AND IF FLYERS KEEP GIVING THE #2 RANKED POWERPLAY OVER THE SEASON THE MAN ADVANTAGE, THE SABRES WILL EAT THEM ALIVE AND SWEEP THE SERIES!!!!

Posted by: SABRE FAN!!! | Apr 25, 2006 12:56:06 AM

Hey JR

Don't talk trash about Buffalo just because the Flyers play the most undisciplined, slow hockey in the league. Philly can only dream about wings and Mighty Taco and Wegmans and Black Rock pop while the Flyers dream of clutching and grabbing and hooking and boarding. It's ok, it's just not your year.

Posted by: GO SABRES!!!! | Apr 25, 2006 1:05:06 AM

For all my fellow intelligent Flyer fans with tix for the next two games: STUB HUB!

Posted by: Bum in the Sun in SoCal | Apr 25, 2006 1:27:36 AM

Flyers fans, time to give it up. Captain Kangaroo built a team for pre-lockout. Buffalo has a Cup Winner, and we can't skate with them. Buffalo has 4 good lines and a solid goaltender. Sorry Robert, but Miller should have made team USA. He may have brought some glory to our country. The Flyers are a joke and it's too late to fix it not. Maybe Ruff was right. We are a bunch of idiot. The Flyers are a bunch of quiters!

Posted by: PhillyBoy16 | Apr 25, 2006 1:50:58 AM

It's ok JR, you can always go and hug your great city's Rocky statue, yo Adrien lace em up....

Posted by: yearight | Apr 25, 2006 2:23:37 AM

THE SABRES SPEED IS 2 MUCH FOR THE FLYERS!, BOBBY CLARK IS STUCK IN THE PASS. A BIG TEAM DOESN'T WORK IN THE NEW ERA OF HOCKEY!!! AND GOING BACK 2 THE BROAD STREET BULLIES WILL END THE SERIES IN 4!!! THE SABRES DON'T NEED 2 DRESS ANDREW PETERS IN GAME 4 WE WILL JUST KEEPING LETTING "THE IDIOTS" DO WHAT THEIR

DOING AND IT WILL BE OVER IN 2 MORE!!! THEY TRIED TO BULLY US BUT MY BOYS DIDN'T RESPOND THE WAY "THE IDIOTS" Had hoped!!!

Posted by: SABRES FAN!!! | Apr 25, 2006 2:42:44 AM

-"Its so sad to see the great city of Philadelphia lose to such a joke of a city."

Spend alot of time in Buffalo?

My recommendation: Find a (way) better time to rip on Buffalo, as the entire city is going to spend the next 2 days laughing at your hometown and the sluggish, vapid team of neanderthols representing it.

sabres win it back at the joke of a city in 5 games.

Posted by: sabresown | Apr 25, 2006 2:44:09 AM

ben eager is a goon!!!! who shouldn't have dressed 4 this game!!! the big , why didn't he go after somebody like mike grier!!! his punk ass went after brian campbell, and thomas vanek!!!

Posted by: SABRES FAN!!! | Apr 25, 2006 2:54:49 AM

ESCHE was horrible in this game. What is it going to take for us to realise that he is a huge part of the problem? The balance of the team starts with it's goaltending. His teamsmanship is lousy. Clarke will need to send him packing, and get someone to replace Johnsson if he is lost. I'm not sure canning Hitchcock is the answer, although his handling of the goalie situation has been a disgrace. I've been a Flyer fan for 24 years. Never seen someone so pathetic as Robert Esche daunt the colors.

Posted by: Flyers74 | Apr 25, 2006 3:37:58 AM

The Flyers are a disgrace, what a total embarassment. These thugs try to pass for a legitimate hockey team but its not working. Sabres in 4, unless the Cryers start pulling out baseball bats on the ice which wouldnt surprise me.

Posted by: Sabresfan06 | Apr 25, 2006 7:56:09 AM

Once again speed killed. I enjoy a good hard hitting game as much as anyone, however, that era is over. This is something that Clarke has never understood. This man continues to acquire slow players and players past their prime. For some reason he seems to think that the big bruisers are the way to go. I've come to believe that this team will NEVER win the cup while Clarke is in charge.

Posted by: bedece1 | Apr 25, 2006 8:01:15 AM

I'm so tired of this "new" NHL. There is no flow to the game, every ten seconds there is some soft penalty called. If I wanted to see a bunch of 5 foot 6 foreign people skate "gracefully" I'd watch figure skating. It really has lost all it's appeal to me. I don't know why the league feels the need to create European style hockey in America, it's not interesting.

Posted by: thamick | Apr 25, 2006 8:26

"Seriously, the Flyers look completely unhinged. Esche going after guys, Forsberg throwing punches, it's crazy.

I don't know if Philly can recover their composure after such a debacle, enough to contend for this series.

Crazy as it sounds, Brian Campbell may have won the series for his team."

- Post from the ESPN Hockey board.

I picked up the Philly Daily News at lunch. Here are the games 3 stars and their stats:

1. Dumont - A hat trick.

2. Pominville - Another hat trick.

3. Drury - A goal, an assist, heart, and soul.

The back cover headline is "8 is ENUFFALO" with a "Primeau to the Rescue?" teaser.

I picked up the Philly Daily News at lunch. Here are the games 3 stars and their stats:

1. Dumont - A hat trick.

2. Pominville - Another hat trick.

3. Drury - A goal, an assist, heart, and soul.

The back cover headline is "8 is ENUFFALO" with a "Primeau to the Rescue?" teaser.

Love that Drury line. How true that is.......

Primeau is what? 46-47 years old? He can't skate and is coming off of an injury. Sabres in 4.

Primeau is just what the Flyers need. :unsure: To get bigger and slower :lol:

The Flyers defense makes the defense on the 'Bubble Hockey' games look mobile. :o

The Sabres don't need to get rough with the Flyers in game three. Score a couple of goals early and the Philly fans will do it for them. The Flyers are one of the worst "Home" teams in the NHL and the fans are just waiting for a reason to turn. ;)

Archived