OT: Happy Labor Day/ Let’s Talk Work

I am Defecting

In commemoration of Labor Day, the holiday established to celebrate American workers, I had an idea to start a thread to talk about work.  It’s something we all have in common, and it’s something that we all have opinions about and experiences with.  I think this topic has potential to slightly improve what we all get out of this board.

Let’s start off by laying some ground rules.  These rules are certainly debatable.  I am making these suggestions to try to bridge the sort of pitfalls that this conversation might take.  My intention isn’t for this to become a call-out thread.  I wouldn’t like this thread to become a place to shame individual employers or co-workers.  Also, it isn’t my intention to create a war between the boss and worker in this thread, but rather find areas for improvement in both directions.  If we can avoid an uncivil class war in this thread, I would be pleased.  I would ideally like to see this thread become a place to come for general advice, where we can draw from our collective experience.  Here are my proposed guidelines.  I will be happy to explain my thinking on any of these suggestions:

• It would benefit the thread that posters not mention specific employers
  • It would benefit the thread that specific job titles are not mentioned
  • It would benefit the thread that those who employ are given the same respect as those who are employed, and that the mutual relationship be revered.
  • It would benefit the thread that posters speak from personal experience and with detail, but change the details enough that this thread doesn’t become so personal that it becomes inaccessible (picky) to the general reader of this forum who might wish to participate.

My example:

Here’s what I’ve got in mind.  I’ve got the boss’s ear.  I’m doing my job well, but I’m rather new at it.  I was hired as a manager, and I’d like to get the most out of my department.  I came into it with fresh eyes, and saw a lot of room for improvement, but I’m getting comfortable with the way things work and don’t want to become complacent. 

I’m in charge of a department at a hardware store.  It’s a nice local one – the type you go into for advice.  Anyways, I’d like to bring in fishing and camping equipment, because those are areas that I see we could expand into, at least for entry level gear, and I think we’ve got the space in my dept.

Anyone have experience with that?  I’m looking for advice either for entry level gear for camping and fishing, or general advice about taking initiative like this.  Do I make the order and present it to the boss to pull the trigger, or do I have to persuade him through every step. 

I get the impression that this boss, and most bosses have enough on his plate, and would respect, if not appreciate me just doing the legwork, not having to think about it too deeply.  I’d like to leave it as just a yes/no decision with all the details ready to execute.  What do you think?

Happy Labor Day, Fellow Workers!  Go Sabres!

Us yokels up here in Canada celebrate labour day too. Got my feet up right now being paid to relax at home and contemplate all the sacrifices of workers that fought the good fight in days of old. Many a life was lost fighting so that we could enjoy weekends off. So we didn't have to work 16 hour days. So the unskilled worker was ensured a minimum wage rather than slave labour. So safety standards ensured we could go home to our wives and kids at the end of the day. Although I work in a non union shop all the benefits I do enjoy were made on the backs of workers who had the courage to organize in the face of a brutal backlash from their employers thugs and the police. Many a head was busted to bring fellows like me the comforts I enjoy daily when I go in to work. And for that I am grateful. 

Us yokels up here in Canada celebrate labour day too. Got my feet up right now being paid to relax at home and contemplate all the sacrifices of workers that fought the good fight in days of old. Many a life was lost fighting so that we could enjoy weekends off. So we didn't have to work 16 hour days. So the unskilled worker was ensured a minimum wage rather than slave labour. So safety standards ensured we could go home to our wives and kids at the end of the day. Although I work in a non union shop all the benefits I do enjoy were made on the backs of workers who had the courage to organize in the face of a brutal backlash from their employers thugs and the police. Many a head was busted to bring fellows like me the comforts I enjoy daily when I go in to work. And for that I am grateful. 

That was a bit moving, and I say that coming from a repressed place.  I'm grateful to you for speaking out, fellow worker.  Go Sabres!

So I work in a completely different area but let me answer your question with some background info first.  When I showed up, everyone was talking about how there was no money for anything and we couldn't get anything blah blah blah.  After 3 years I have figured out that "no money" line is .  The problem is people will just ask my boss for it. "Hey can I get a new mac book, it would be really helpful."  Well that doesn't work. 

What I do and have been very successful doing is finding exactly what it is I want, pricing it out and writing a justification for why we should get it.  Now I am talking on a smaller scale than you but I would recommend figuring what entry level equipment you think would sell.  Price it out an get an inventory with estimated cost. Then write up a short/brief justification of why it would benefit the store. If you can show that the sale of the gear is up or anything that helps. Keep it short, 1-2 pages max with bullet points.  Your bosses are busy, they want something concise that makes sense.  Final thought is know who is getting the proposal in the end. My boss has to get my stuff first, but I don't write it for her, I write it for the one guy in charge of the budget who has final approval. 

Just some thoughts.  You will have to do the initial leg work but if done correctly could be very helpful.

So I work in a completely different area but let me answer your question with some background info first.  When I showed up, everyone was talking about how there was no money for anything and we couldn't get anything blah blah blah.  After 3 years I have figured out that "no money" line is ######.  The problem is people will just ask my boss for it. "Hey can I get a new mac book, it would be really helpful."  Well that doesn't work. 

What I do and have been very successful doing is finding exactly what it is I want, pricing it out and writing a justification for why we should get it.  Now I am talking on a smaller scale than you but I would recommend figuring what entry level equipment you think would sell.  Price it out an get an inventory with estimated cost. Then write up a short/brief justification of why it would benefit the store. If you can show that the sale of the gear is up or anything that helps. Keep it short, 1-2 pages max with bullet points.  Your bosses are busy, they want something concise that makes sense.  Final thought is know who is getting the proposal in the end. My boss has to get my stuff first, but I don't write it for her, I write it for the one guy in charge of the budget who has final approval. 

Just some thoughts.  You will have to do the initial leg work but if done correctly could be very helpful.

Thank you for the advice.  That's what I was leaning towards and that's what I'll do.  I appreciate the support.  Hopefully, I'll be able to make my case.  +1 Liger for GM.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.