Goal review rule

Onceagain

Yeah, here's the whole section:

78.6 Video Review - Any potential goal requiring video review must be reviewed prior to or during the next stoppage of play. No goal may be awarded (or disallowed) as a result of video review once the puck has been dropped and play has resumed. See Rule 38.

When a team scores an apparent goal that is not seen by the on-ice officials and play continues, the play shall be reviewed by the Video Goal Judge at the next stoppage of play. If the goal is confirmed by video review, the clock (including penalty time clocks, if applicable) is re-set to the time the goal was scored. If the goal is not confirmed by video review, no adjustment is required to the clock time.

Only one goal can be awarded at any stoppage of play. If the apparent goal was scored by Team A, and is subsequently confirmed as a goal by the Video Goal Judge, any goal scored by Team B during the period of time between the apparent goal By Team A and the stoppage of play (Team B’s goal), the Team B goal would not be awarded. However, if the apparent goal by Team A is deemed to have entered the goal, albeit illegally (i.e. distinct kicking motion), the goal shall be disallowed by the Video Goal Judge and since the play should have stopped for this disallowed goal, no goal can be awarded to Team B on the same play. The clock (including penalty time clocks, if applicable) must be re-set to the time of the disallowed Team A goal and play resumed.

I'm fine with the process. That bolded part is a bit of a pisser, but it's fair. Anytime the puck actually enters the goal completely (legally or otherwise), it should result in a stoppage in play.

I'd rather not get a whistle for uncertainty or a whistle because the video review judge called down to say it crossed the line. Play through it, then correct as needed using video.

I'm pretty sure if either ref sees the goal they would blow the whistle immediately and not wait for play to stop. They didn't see it, which is why they didn't stop play.

By "goal-not-goal", I meant that he saw the play that resulted in the need to review whether it was or was not a goal.

Archived