The Terry Pegula Effect

X. Benedict

Right, and by definition right now, those kids are second rate, and it shows on the ice. Small schools with small alumni bases will never help hockey move forward. It's harsh, but I want huge Michigan-OSU hockey rivalries broadcast to every home from Traverse City to Cincinnati. I want to see loads of, "This guys was drafted by The Redwings", "That guy will be playing in the Rangers organization next year", etc. This is the stuff that will grow hockey. And having players leave the NCAA ranks to go play in the AHL because the talent and competition level are so much higher, is not going to grow the game. [que the impassioned speech music] I want top talent players on the ice at all times, and more importantly, glowing through the screen at my sons precious 3 year old eyes so he dreams of playing hockey for the Irish, or the Spartans, or the Eagles, or the Crimson. But he's easy, he'll be a hockey fan by blood, I want some kid in Denver watching the Denver-North Dakota games by himself because he learned about hockey in Phys Ed class in school and now he wants to see great teams playing each other. Hockey, good hockey, will win over any sports fan anywhere, it just needs to be high quality and more accessible.

Bold point #1: They aren't leaving early because of the talent level. They're leaving early because of the CBA. If a player leaves to go to a higher level of competition, they leave for major junior (ie. Louis Leblanc leaving Harvard). Early departures is just a way of life. It will never change until the NCAA overhauls their rules about players being paid.

Bold point #2: What happens when a school like Michigan visits one like Alabama-Huntsville? Doesn't that make a high quality product more accessible? One thing's for sure, you're definitely not hooking new people by having teams disappear.

Bold point #1: They aren't leaving early because of the talent level. They're leaving early because of the CBA. If a player leaves to go to a higher level of competition, they leave for major junior (ie. Louis Leblanc leaving Harvard). Early departures is just a way of life. It will never change until the NCAA overhauls their rules about players being paid.

Bold point #2: What happens when a school like Michigan visits one like Alabama-Huntsville? Doesn't that make a high quality product more accessible? One thing's for sure, you're definitely not hooking new people by having teams disappear.

#1) Correct, I concede the point about leaving early. I maintain the point that the level of competition, even in the ECAC, is not good enough for the development of 20 year old NHL caliber hockey players.

#2) Michigan vs Alabama Huntsville is NOT a quality product. It's the equivalent of the FBS teams playing FCS teams. Its not good, it rarely gets on TV, and it is nothing more that a scrimmage that they can charge full price at the gate for. You are correct, having teams disappear is not in and of itself good for any sport. But the clout and quality of the teams that will remain will be GREAT for the sport. As the caliber of hockey in the united states improves, so will the caliber of the available players. As this happens, more and more schools will be interested and able to field high caliber teams. There was a time when only about 20-30 D-I schools were competitive in basketball, but with the spread of the sport, increased televising of games, and incredible investment in the marketing of the sport, there is now a talent pool deep enough that there are probably 100 schools that make competitive, compelling entertainment during the regular season.

Archived