Ellis forever grateful to Jimmy D

Two or less

Ellis forever grateful to Jimmy D

November 8, 2010 5:22 PM | Comments3Recommend17

By Tim Wharnsby

Download Flash Player to view this content.

When the Buffalo Sabres recalled forward Matt Ellis to play against the Toronto Maple Leafs the news made Jim Devellano smile.

The 67-year-old Detroit Red Wings senior vice-president was honoured as part of the Hockey Hall of Fame 2010 class before the game on Saturday. He has been responsible for signing plenty of prospects, but Ellis is a young man he is particularly proud of even though he has played in only 188 NHL games.

"[sabres general manager] Darcy Regier is a real good friend of mine and a protégé of mine and I didn't realize that Matt had been called up from Portland until I walked out onto the ice and saw him. I gave him the high five. I'm very proud of him," Devellano said a few hours before he was officially inducted into the HHOF along with women standouts Angela James and Cammi Granato, Dino Ciccarelli and the late Daryl (Doc) Seaman as a builder on Monday.

Ellis overcame long odds just to play a shift in the NHL. The Welland, Ont. native caught Devellano's eye earlier this decade as a member of the St. Michael's College Majors of the OHL. The Red Wings executive often made his way to the school's old barn for Sunday matinee games and he was struck by Ellis's determination and hustle.

Devellano also was familiar with the Majors coach, David Cameron, because he was a New York Islanders eighth-round pick 32 years ago, when Devellano was the Islanders assistant GM. Cameron couldn't praise his overage player enough.

But after his final junior season in 2001-02, Ellis figured he was off to Canadian university to continue his hockey and earn a degree. But Devellano surprised him with a three-way (ECHL-AHL-NHL) free-agent offer.

Link- http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/timwharnsby/2010/11/ellis-forever-grateful-to-jimmy-d.html

Saw this today and thought it was a nice little story. It's pretty ironic that Matt Ellis made his season debut this year in that Toronto game for Hall of Fame night.

Archived