Sabres Analysis 2010-2011 Part 2

5th line wingnutt

Left Wing:

Vanek, Thomas

Hecht, Jochen

Niedermayer, Rob

Kennedy, Tim

Position Grade B

Here Vanek is both the good news and the bad. Starting with the broken jaw at the end 2008-9 and continuing last year he has been fighting injury and had a hard time finding his mojo. Vanek suffers from having no true #1 center and no power play quarterback. Vanek is the sniper type who needs someone to get him the puck at the right time. Hecht is a decent second line winger or center. It took him a long time to make the transition from center to left wing but last year he got there. Niedermayer is a decent 3rd or 4th checking winger. Kennedy is also a decent 3rd or 4th winger, too small, but wins a few battles with stick skills and grit. I don’t see much upside on left wing except for Vanek, and only if we can get him some help.

Left Wing:

Vanek, Thomas

Hecht, Jochen

Niedermayer, Rob

Kennedy, Tim

Position Grade B

Here Vanek is both the good news and the bad. Starting with the broken jaw at the end 2008-9 and continuing last year he has been fighting injury and had a hard time finding his mojo. Vanek suffers from having no true #1 center and no power play quarterback. Vanek is the sniper type who needs someone to get him the puck at the right time. Hecht is a decent second line winger or center. It took him a long time to make the transition from center to left wing but last year he got there. Niedermayer is a decent 3rd or 4th checking winger. Kennedy is also a decent 3rd or 4th winger, too small, but wins a few battles with stick skills and grit. I don’t see much upside on left wing except for Vanek, and only if we can get him some help.

fixed

Just for consistency, I have to say that I'd list Niedermayer with "(possibly)" and add Ennis also with "(possibly)". Also, until camp comes and goes, Ennis has no more claim on a spot than Gerbe, so I'd add him, too. I'd say it's more likely Ennis, but it's not 100% set.

Seems like a good bet that the top-three leftwingers will be Vanek, Ennis and Hecht this year. I'd prefer to see Hecht in the checking role with Ennis on a scoring line, but they may start out reversed. On the fourth line, I'd expect to see Kaleta or McCormick, who are both natural right-wingers, switch to Gaustad's left. With their role, I don't think sides matter as much.

Vanek's performance will likely rebound a bit, as last year was off his usual pace, but with no change down the middle, I'm not expecting a huge jump. The real question is whether he will maintain the intensity that we saw at the end of last year. Ennis could have a big first year or could slump with a bigger role and expectations.

As sad as it is, this is probably the Sabres' strongest forward position. :sick:

Archived