Funny story from the Aud

Two or less

Atleast i found this funny. I know i heard this story somewhere else, maybe just random talk at a bar but here it is in print. From Ray Ferraro's latest column on tsn.ca, it was from a question/answer portion-

Since your playing days, how much more “rigid” have the end boards (or for that matter) the boards around the whole rink have become? Any how much more have they contributed to the increase (and severity) of injuries involving even normal “hard” checks into the boards?

I remember back about 10 years ago, the Nassau Coliseum used some kind of “spring” or “shock absorber” system in the corners to allow the boards to “give somewhat” – you are familiar that at the Coliseum the fans do not sit right on top of the end boards - like most of today's newer arenas – allowing the arena the ability to modify their system, I suppose, since they have more space to work with. Again, back around 10 years ago I believe Montreal and/or Toronto switched to the total “seamless” glass all around the entire rink – better view for the fans, but I remember the broadcasters made the comment about “hitting into a cement wall” with this configuration – with no “give” whatsoever. I think the Devils did the right thing by installing the “older” style metal stanchion/glass combination behind the boards at the Prudential Center for that reason...

Thank you. Greg - Holbrook, NY

There is no question that the boards and seamless glass are far more rigid than when I started. The old Auditorium in Buffalo was almost cushy on the boards - great sound as well when a player was hit on the boards! Funny note about that rink. The teams came on the ice at the same end of the rink through different doors. At the Sabres door, their trainers would stand and watch the game. When the Sabres were shooting at that end, when they would dump the puck in, the trainer would kick the bottom of the boards and if he timed it right, the puck would shoot out into the slot. Home ice advantage! Several teams are starting to go back to partitioned glass as they try to find the balance between fans' vision and player safety.

Link- http://tsn.ca/blogs/ray_ferraro/?id=315939

Archived