Observations

Lethbridge Broncos

Griere

Clearly adds leadership in the room. Servicable PK guy. Will police in physical games.

Kennedy:

Carbon copy of Derek Plante/ Darren Turcott. Weak. Not bad in space at the start of a shift. Late in a shift, with pressure, his a wimp. Late in shifts is when you see if a weak "skill" guy is worth his salt. I don't see it.

Rivet:

Brave warrior. Fearless. Smart. Sound. No problem paying him $3.5 mm.

Tallinder:

Injures and age have hurt his once lovely skating style. Now he is nothing but a shiver looking for a spine to run down.

Paille:

Tall and lanky and "too nice." Wants to be a Selke winner but cant skate, play D or chip in timely goals. He is a waste os space. Cut bait and play a piss and vinegar guy on that wing who will work hard for 45 seconds and come back to the bench looking he just stormed Normandy Beach.

Hecht:

Adds nothing. Does'nt hurts the club. Dave Snuggerud with a visor.

Myers:

I was concerned about his ability to prevent fast wingers (i.e., Jason Blake) from going around him on rushes -- which happened in junior. But he has stood tall (no pun intended) and prevented that thus far. On the PK his reach is such an assett. In one game, in Washington, he easily took a puck away from a guy in the corner (bumped him off) and skated free and made a nice exit pass. Very smooth. THe best part of his game is his interest in hitting guys. He goes after guys along the glass and understands that his size is to be used in a mean way as well as an offensively creative way. That should be an exciting thing for Sabre fans. And this is b/k of good junior oversight in the WHL and a natural mean streak in his Texan DNA. To me, he is like a taller and less gifted version of Pronger. He needs to get stronger and develop a better shot. But his disposition and skill set are evident. Miller likes playing behind him -- and that should mean something.

Kaleta:

This guy is Claude Lemiuxe PART II. What a jerk -- but he is great. Needs to shoot the puck a little more. He could play on the 2nd line on my team. His hands are not that bad. He is an absolute treate to watch. And he looks even bigger this season.

Gaustad:

A bull in a china shop. The modern day Mac T. Every shift counts with this kid. Needs to shot a little more and try to lug the puck into the zone on occassion. He has the size to do that now. Far to often he dumps and chases -- and that tires the big man out. He can lug it - -he jsut needs a little more confidence.

Roy:

Graet balance. Great vision. Passing -- soso. Shot -- soso. If he had a better snap shot, he would be a 1st line AllStar.

Pominville:

In the Quebec junior league -- he was prolifiic. He needs a feader however. He is a classic sit in a soft spot scorer -- a poor mans Brett Hull. On the PP, he should be on the wall.

PP

Pominville, Roy, Vanek down low. Rivet and Connoly on the points.

Ruff:

Needs to try some bangers on the top lines. Let Kaleta play with Roy and Vanek. Let Guastad center Clark M and Stafford.

Griere

Clearly adds leadership in the room. Servicable PK guy. Will police in physical games.

Kennedy:

Carbon copy of Derek Plante/ Darren Turcott. Weak. Not bad in space at the start of a shift. Late in a shift, with pressure, his a wimp. Late in shifts is when you see if a weak "skill" guy is worth his salt. I don't see it.

Rivet:

Tallinder:

Injures and age have hurt his once lovely skating style. Now he is nothing but a shiver looking for a spine to run down.

Paille:

Tall and lanky and "too nice." Wants to be a Selke winner but cant skate, play D or chip in timely goals. He is a waste os space. Cut bait and play a piss and vinegar guy on that wing who will work hard for 45 seconds and come back to the bench looking he just stormed Normandy Beach.

Hecht:

Myers:

I was concerned about his ability to prevent fast wingers (i.e., Jason Blake) from going around him on rushes -- which happened in junior. But he has stood tall (no pun intended) and prevented that thus far. On the PK his reach is such an assett. In one game, in Washington, he easily took a puck away from a guy in the corner (bumped him off) and skated free and made a nice exit pass. Very smooth. THe best part of his game is his interest in hitting guys. He goes after guys along the glass and understands that his size is to be used in a mean way as well as an offensively creative way. That should be an exciting thing for Sabre fans. And this is b/k of good junior oversight in the WHL and a natural mean streak in his Texan DNA. To me, he is like a taller and less gifted version of Pronger. He needs to get stronger and develop a better shot. But his disposition and skill set are evident. Miller likes playing behind him -- and that should mean something.

Kaleta:

This guy is Claude Lemiuxe PART II. What a jerk -- but he is great. Needs to shoot the puck a little more. He could play on the 2nd line on my team. His hands are not that bad. He is an absolute treate to watch. And he looks even bigger this season.

Gaustad:

A bull in a china shop. The modern day Mac T. Every shift counts with this kid. Needs to shot a little more and try to lug the puck into the zone on occassion. He has the size to do that now. Far to often he dumps and chases -- and that tires the big man out. He can lug it - -he jsut needs a little more confidence.

Roy:

Graet balance. Great vision. Passing -- soso. Shot -- soso. If he had a better snap shot, he would be a 1st line AllStar.

Pominville:

In the Quebec junior league -- he was prolifiic. He needs a feader however. He is a classic sit in a soft spot scorer -- a poor mans Brett Hull. On the PP, he should be on the wall.

PP

Pominville, Roy, Vanek down low. Rivet and Connoly on the points.

Ruff:

Needs to try some bangers on the top lines. Let Kaleta play with Roy and Vanek. Let Guastad center Clark M and Stafford.

Yeah, whats with that Griere guy, better yet, who is that????

Griere

Not sure if I entire agree with the "police" part. He certainly will make everyone accountable, his team and theirs but he's not going to throw with everyone who gets a little chipping with our boys.

Kennedy:

He plays with 100% more jam than Derek Plante ever did. Lets give the kid some time. He's not afraid to stick his nose into the fray and get dirty.

Rivet:

I know he played hurt a bunch last year, but I would like to see a little more from him. Not offensively, just a little more of everything else.

Tallinder:

Agreed.

Paille:

Call Danny anything you want, most of us do, but don't make unsubstantiated claims. His one asset may be his wheels, he just doesn't use them enough.

Hecht:

Last year this was not the case.

Myers:

I'd like to see more of this mean Tyler.

Kaleta:

A litle nervous about having him with skill guys. Not sure if he is quite there yet.

Gaustad:

I've never seen a more glowing opinion of Goose. I like him, but man you love him.

Roy:

In between Ovechkin and Crosby?

Archived