Pirates v. Hershey Bears 2-8-09

ThePebble19

So, just got back from the game about an hour ago. Was a really great game to watch, and I was surprised that Portland came out on top. Here are some of my thoughts after the game...

- Man, is Gerbe little. At one point, he tried mixing it up with Graham Mink, and it was like a 10 year old trying to fight his Dad. However, he is a playmaker. Every time he touched the puck, Hershey fans were saying things like "uh-oh"

- Portland really out-skated Hershey for the majority of the game. They beat them to pucks, and they hustled more. However, Portland played like absolute crap in their own zone. It really seemed like Hershey was toying with them for the entire 1st period.

- Really wasn't expecting much from this DeCard guy that was in net, and after a shaky 1st period, he locked it down, and was extremely solid. He caught a break in the 3rd though, when the refs blew the whistle premature, about 3 seconds before Hershey slammed the equalizer home.

- Kennedy and Gerbe looked like they have been playing together for years. They seem to know where each other is at all times without even looking for the other. That is really encouraging to see.

- Gragnani had a really bad game...bad passes, bad everything.

- Dylan Hunter blows. I didn't see one good thing from him tonight. Not one.

- Felix Schutz has a 2nd gear that I really didn't expect. There was one instance where he got the puck at the Portland blue line and just turned on the jets and blew past 3 Bears on his way to the net. He could be a decent NHLer eventually.

- Hershey is clearly much better than Portland at this stage of the game. They seem to control the puck better in the offensive zone, and their two goals were things of beauty. They were playing a backup goaltender tonight that hadn't got much work. I think if Machesney had played, Hershey would have been much better. BUT, the same could have been said about Enroth playing...

Overall, it was a fun night, I really enjoyed it...Ill have some pictures here in a minute, I was getting some work out of my new camera tonight.

Awesome summery. Seems like you had a lot of fun. And awesome pictures. Thanks for taking the time.

I also am a big believer in Felix Schutz. People have been raving about his hockey IQ for years in the German Elite league and i think a lot of people expected him to struggle in the North American game where his IQ would probably take a back seat since he only played in Germany. However, from what i understand, he plays on the 3rd line, usually with guys who are below average AHLers and does a very good job on the score sheet (8 goals, 22pt) and plays many times as a shutdown line against opponent top lines. I've been very impressed with Schutz so far this season and can't wait to see him on Tuesday.

I didn't see you mention anything about Marek Zagrapan? How did he look?

Awesome summery. Seems like you had a lot of fun. And awesome pictures. Thanks for taking the time.

I also am a big believer in Felix Schutz. People have been raving about his hockey IQ for years in the German Elite league and i think a lot of people expected him to struggle in the North American game where his IQ would probably take a back seat since he only played in Germany. However, from what i understand, he plays on the 3rd line, usually with guys who are below average AHLers and does a very good job on the score sheet (8 goals, 22pt) and plays many times as a shutdown line against opponent top lines. I've been very impressed with Schutz so far this season and can't wait to see him on Tuesday.

I didn't see you mention anything about Marek Zagrapan? How did he look?

Zagrapan actually didn't look bad at all. He's a lot bigger than I thought he was. Didn't do anything particularly special, but he worked hard down low, and made a few nice passes, and had a couple good looks, just couldn't hammer them home.

I can definitely see 5 or 6 of these guys in blue and gold eventually.

So, just got back from the game about an hour ago. Was a really great game to watch, and I was surprised that Portland came out on top. Here are some of my thoughts after the game...

- Man, is Gerbe little. At one point, he tried mixing it up with Graham Mink, and it was like a 10 year old trying to fight his Dad. However, he is a playmaker. Every time he touched the puck, Hershey fans were saying things like "uh-oh"

- Portland really out-skated Hershey for the majority of the game. They beat them to pucks, and they hustled more. However, Portland played like absolute crap in their own zone. It really seemed like Hershey was toying with them for the entire 1st period.

- Really wasn't expecting much from this DeCard guy that was in net, and after a shaky 1st period, he locked it down, and was extremely solid. He caught a break in the 3rd though, when the refs blew the whistle premature, about 3 seconds before Hershey slammed the equalizer home.

- Kennedy and Gerbe looked like they have been playing together for years. They seem to know where each other is at all times without even looking for the other. That is really encouraging to see.

- Gragnani had a really bad game...bad passes, bad everything.

- Dylan Hunter blows. I didn't see one good thing from him tonight. Not one.

- Felix Schutz has a 2nd gear that I really didn't expect. There was one instance where he got the puck at the Portland blue line and just turned on the jets and blew past 3 Bears on his way to the net. He could be a decent NHLer eventually.

- Hershey is clearly much better than Portland at this stage of the game. They seem to control the puck better in the offensive zone, and their two goals were things of beauty. They were playing a backup goaltender tonight that hadn't got much work. I think if Machesney had played, Hershey would have been much better. BUT, the same could have been said about Enroth playing...

Overall, it was a fun night, I really enjoyed it...Ill have some pictures here in a minute, I was getting some work out of my new camera tonight.

i'm so pissed i had a commitment last night. we live 2 miles from the arena and i wanted to go to this one...thanks for the report and the photos...

i'm so pissed i had a commitment last night. we live 2 miles from the arena and i wanted to go to this one...thanks for the report and the photos...

No Problem. Ive had this one pen'd in since the schedule came out.

I'm going again in a week when Hershey plays Philly. It really is a good night of hockey at any Bears game.

Other than scoring the game winner, how did Kostka play? He's the only right-handed defenseman (I believe, certainly the only one that has a chance to make the NHL) in Portland. He was undrafted, but had a rather impressive career at UMass (Captain, Hobey Baker candidate, led defensemen in scoring, led team in PP goals, team MVP.) I'm curious if he has a chance to make it. I'd assume not, or at least not yet, since he didn't get called up recently. We could sure use more right-handed defensemen.

Other than scoring the game winner, how did Kostka play? He's the only right-handed defenseman (I believe, certainly the only one that has a chance to make the NHL) in Portland. He was undrafted, but had a rather impressive career at UMass (Captain, Hobey Baker candidate, led defensemen in scoring, led team in PP goals, team MVP.) I'm curious if he has a chance to make it. I'd assume not, or at least not yet, since he didn't get called up recently. We could sure use more right-handed defensemen.

Good, in the offensive zone. Makes nice, crisp passes, and has a nice shot.

Every D-man we had played like crap in the defensive zone that night though...

Archived