The Frozen Moment...

SDS

How old is your son, SDS? The sweep check seems to be far out of the context of the level of play I am discerning from the photos. Might be a special kid, who knows? Just don't become one of Bucky's hockey parents. Actually a pretty good column by the Buckster.

That was a very good article:

Bucky Article

The thing that I found very interesting is Rivet's take:

You ask players around the league whether their parents led them to the NHL, and most would laugh in your face. Almost all played the game simply because it was fun until they reached the best travel league in the world. They didn?t have parents breathing down their necks on the drive to Slap Shot Camp.

That surprises me because I get a different impression from Patrick Kane... Didn't his family sell their car dealership (Kane-Doyle) in order to finance Patrick's future? That is not saying I don't think Patrick is playing for the love of the game, but he was indoctrinated into it also very much so by his family... Heck they even have a picture of him at the HSBC groundbreaking. What I am saying is that his parents were the main driving force. Go back to even that shot of him as a baby in his father's arms behind the boards... That scene is forever immortalized in one of Pat Lafontaine's trading cards... How did that happen? Coincidence? Or family connections? I have a hard time believing it was coincidence. <_< <_<

It may be luck that a player hits it big time, but other times (like Kane) it is all part of the plan since day one.

Kane?s father spent some $200,000 on his son?s career, took several financial risks along the way, allowed his son to leave home at age 14 and quite possibly had him on the ice more than anyone in local youth hockey history. FYI: 999,999 kids would have quit. Kane, who once had 100 goals and 200 points in one season as a kid, was the one in a million who didn?t burn out.

Kane, IMO didn't "burn out" because he was indoctrinated since birth. One thing since day one was to make it... Again IMO, he knew no other life except hockey. What I am saying is you can't "burn out" if you don't know what "burning out" is and you stick to the ultimate plan no matter what. It was far from luck in my eyes... But, what family has that desire?

Archived