Things to think about

Toddkaz

Here are a few things to think about(the Big Picture)

A lot of the fans here feel that we should sit on our hands and play the talent we have. There are a few things to think about on a GM's level.

1. Signing a player who is producing now will he produce in 2 years ie. Micheal Peca and 4 million!

2. Is he what we want in the Future of our team. ie Maxim he seems to fit the least

3. Is it just a one year wonder but demands money this year

4. Not signing a player and taking a chance on free agency and getting outsigned ie Aucoin

Here is what we have to look at.

A lot of people like Derek Roy. Here is his contract "Derek Roy 1 yr left on rookie deal 2.60 750,000 "

Do we trade him or resign him? Is he a streaky player? He will get a pay raise and maybe 1 - 1.5 million a season. If he has one good season he'll get 2 - 3 million. Is he worth it? Will he perfrom every year? I think he is great trade bait. He has a load of talent but I really don't think he is worth the investment.

Ales Kotalik 1 year. 2.90 837,900

He is our leading scorer at the moment. Will definitely get a pay raise. Is he worth it? another player to think about.

Maxim Afinogenov 1 year. 3.76 1,086,800

He will be up for a pay raise also. He is a player that can score anytime but never does. I am not sure we want to pay him 2 million dollars for a guy that is always a threat but never really scores all that much

Dmitri Kalinin 1 year option. 4.61 1,330,000

It is maybe a good thing he is not having a break out year or he would be worth 3 - 4 million a year. A good defenceman were did he go this year?

Paul Gaustad 1 year. 1.56 450,000

Jason Pominville Signed, 1 yr left on rookie deal. 1.56 450,000

Ryan Miller 1 year. 1.74 501,600

these 3 guys are why we are where we are. Can we keep paying them $500,000

think about it? No way!

We have great youth but do you feel this team can sign everyone, every year and do we want to keep all of these players?

There is more to winning then on the ice.

Maybe trading away a few players that might be overpreforming getting in some talent for this year and next might be the way to go. What you guys decide remember their is our future and the team breaking even financially to worry about.

A lot of the fans here feel that we should sit on our hands and play the talent we have. There are a few things to think about on a GM's level.

1. Signing a player who is producing now will he produce in 2 years ie. Micheal Peca and 4 million!

2. Is he what we want in the Future of our team. ie Maxim he seems to fit the least

4. Not signing a player and taking a chance on free agency and getting outsigned ie Aucoin

A lot of people like Derek Roy. Here is his contract "Derek Roy 1 yr left on rookie deal 2.60 750,000 "

Do we trade him or resign him? Is he a streaky player? He will get a pay raise and maybe 1 - 1.5 million a season. If he has one good season he'll get 2 - 3 million. Is he worth it? Will he perfrom every year? I think he is great trade bait. He has a load of talent but I really don't think he is worth the investment.

He is our leading scorer at the moment. Will definitely get a pay raise. Is he worth it? another player to think about.

He will be up for a pay raise also. He is a player that can score anytime but never does. I am not sure we want to pay him 2 million dollars for a guy that is always a threat but never really scores all that much

It is maybe a good thing he is not having a break out year or he would be worth 3 - 4 million a year. A good defenceman were did he go this year?

think about it? No way!

We have great youth but do you feel this team can sign everyone, every year and do we want to keep all of these players?

Maybe trading away a few players that might be overpreforming getting in some talent for this year and next might be the way to go. What you guys decide remember their is our future and the team breaking even financially to worry about.

Todd, you bring up some good points regarding issues that management has to look at. But I think you overestimate how much the RFA's on the Sabres will get this off-season. Qualifying offers for players making over $1MM don't have to be for raises, and those for players making over $660k only have to be for 5% raises.

While I don't expect the final contracts of these players to be that low, I don't expect to see anyone other than Ryan double his salary (and even Ryan might not "hit the jackpot"). There was little to no movement of RFA's this past off-season, I would be surprised to see that change this off-season; so the players have little leverage until they hit the UFA market or are within a year of the UFA market.

Your final comments about trading overperformers are essentially what all trades are about. The GM assigns a "value" to the players on his team and those on other teams. If he can convince another GM to give him a set of assets (players / draft picks) that is worth more to his team than the assets the other GM wants, he pulls the trigger; if not, he doesn't.

Your final comments about trading overperformers are essentially what all trades are about. The GM assigns a "value" to the players on his team and those on other teams. If he can convince another GM to give him a set of assets (players / draft picks) that is worth more to his team than the assets the other GM wants, he pulls the trigger; if not, he doesn't.

This comment just reminded me of the Grosek for Gilmour and Dumont trade... JP wa young and a prospect... even at that time a Grosek - Dumont trade wouldn't have been a bad deal. Trading period is so exciting.

This comment just reminded me of the Grosek for Gilmour and Dumont trade... JP wa young and a prospect... even at that time a Grosek - Dumont trade wouldn't have been a bad deal. Trading period is so exciting.

JP was considered a bust at the time of the trade. He was throw in. Luckily for the Sabres he got the message and decided he wanted an NHL career.

think about it? No way!

The way the NHL works is that these players play for the Sabres or don't play. The Sabres will make the qualifing offers and most will accept. Those that don't will go to arbitration. None of these players, with the exception of Miller, have great numbers. Arbitration is about the numbers. We all learned that from Peca. Role players don't get big raises.

Archived