Pickup leagues, stories

darksabre

Since the old thread has fallen into the archives I figured I'd start a new one because I have a question.

In your pickup leagues, is it generally the rule that once you put up a substantial lead on a team, not only does the clock run, but your team slows it down a bit and stops trying to run the score up? I mean, it's the classy thing to do right? We're all here to enjoy the sport of hockey so why run the score up and risk having tempers flare? I just always thought it was an accepted but unwritten rule.

My team had a game tonight against one of the teams that tends to bring a large fan base (they're the team for Engineering House at our college, this is an intramural league. like a beer league but you don't pay to play). Anyways, they were having their way with us and before long it was 6 to nothing. At this point the clock is running and we're visibly outmatched. A classy team would have slowed it down and given us a chance to make the game a little less one sided; mind you not give up the clearly dominating lead, but at least slow things down a bit. But no, they kept pouring it on and scored 4 more goals. We walked away with an 11-1 loss.

At one point during the last period I gave one of their players a shot to let him know I wasn't happy. He got mad and wanted to know what the deal was. I let him know what I thought about their team's classless attitude, to which he just laughed. Where's the respect?

All I know, is the next time our teams meet, it's not going to be a fun time for them if they hack it up again. There's some bad blood there, and there shouldn't be; it's just intramurals.

Okay, I'll stop being frustrated now. :beer:

/rant

edit: woops, this thread should be OT. mods? :blush:

Archived